//eleven

•••

The first week of school was spent with Gretta and another girl Rosemary had met during her Dance elective, Katia whom attended church with her that Sunday. She was a social girl, not quite the popular girl that everyone wanted to be in their year, but someone everyone admired. A much more suitable candidate for influence then Abigail or Gretta. Abigail had disregarded Rosemary by the end of the week, quickly growing bored of how incorruptible she supposedly was.

Much like Abigail, Rosemary started to see Henry Bowers true colours by the second week of June.

Jude was increasingly spending more time with Belch in the days he'd skip school whilst Rosemary begun taking note of Henry's aggressive behaviour in the school corridors. It was one group of teens he terrorised specifically.

"It's kind of stupid if you ask me" Katia had told her when Rosemary asked her opinion on the Bowers Gang's behaviour. "I mean, the school does almost nothing about it, but I don't see why they feel the need to attack students two years younger then them!"

"Men and their egos..." Rosemary had sighed, agreeing with her new light spoken friend.

"I feel kind of bad for Victor. I mean, out of all of them he's seems the least...psychotic. Apparently Henry carved his name into this kid last year and the kid left town because it was so traumatising"

It was more then just that though, she could see it. He'd shove kids unnecessarily, in Social Studies - the single class they shared - he'd grind the blade of his prized switchblade into the desk, and if he felt so, he'd cuss out the teachers.

Henry was aggressive and quite often violent, but not crazy.

Victor was his tag along, following the leader. In every act of violence against another student that Rosemary had witnessed within the first week, not once had he been the instigator. Quite often she'd noticed he would simply glare or mock his victims, or in the cases where he recognised her presence within the vicinity, he'd just ignore them.

Victor was a follower, easily manipulated, that didn't seek out violence unless summoned by his leader. Despite this, she still gave him innocently flirty smiles when they made eye contact in class and said a shy 'hi' to him when they passed each other in the hallway. It was small actions like that that kept him invested without requiring her complete attention.

Rosemary couldn't judge Belch, because she hardly spent any time with him. He seemed to calm Jude down on better days and was the chauffeur of his entire group. Also not crazy, simply a follower.

Patrick was another story entirely.

Patrick Hockstetter was unpredictable. His pencil case had caught her off guard to say the least and his manhandling of her at the cinema proved to her that he had no boundaries to what he was willing to do. Rosemary wouldn't be surprised if at one point or another, he told her he'd killed someone. Every interaction between them had been fuelled by anger, curiosity, or in Patrick's case, sexual frustration. As a boy whom has never held or been given feelings by a girl, the few minutes Rosemary had given to him in the theatre house felt like pure ecstasy. He'd spent most of that week thinking of her; her voice, how she'd felt pressed flush against him, the texture of her hair, how her hands had felt rubbing his cock as he jerked himself off.

But this only left him feeling angrier.

Angry because she hadn't so much as glanced at him since she'd touched him. He could see every look she gave Victor, every minor greeting and a bubbling stirred in his chest. Not jealousy, just frustration that she wasted her efforts on greeting Victor rather then pleasuring him. Patrick shared several classes with her. Not including homeroom he shared Physical Education with her and Victor, Mathematics with her, Moose and Peter, and in Anatomy, it was just Rosemary all to himself. And as luck would have it, she sat directly beside him because it was the only available seat that late in the year.

It was on the Tuesday of the second week that he made a move on her.

Sitting beside each other in Anatomy, Rosemary was furiously taking notes beside him in preparation for the final major test she'd be forced to take in two weeks time. Already he knew she was going to ace it, as in the first week she'd gotten near 100% or perfect scores on each pop quiz or surprise test the teachers had been cruel enough to give. He mostly looked at the board, listening to whatever fact Mr.Teller spouted with irritating enthusiasm. He'd only taken Anatomy as he had a certain gift for cutting things open, a steady hand and precision that shocked even the teachers.

It was when she hastily flipped her page that he looked at her. The sun from the window beside them shone off her hair which ran in two plaits around her face, and the soft glow of her skin was hypnotising. His eyes gradually lowered to her slim waist before reaching her thighs. Her dress had pulled up ever so slightly from hitting the table, revealing the toned, smooth skin which ran down her legs. So transfixed on her paper, she hadn't noticed Patrick's hand until he placed his fingers against her leg. She stiffened before exhaling a low breath of irritation thinking all he'd intended to do was poke her and stop.

But he didn't stop.

He rubbed her leg in a sensual manner, his rubbery fingers gliding up and downwards as his hand traced swirls up her leg. Rosemary could hear his breathing ever so slightly begin to heave. His eyes still trained on the board, she felt his hand slip further into her leg.

"Don't" Her voice was low, low enough that Patrick could take her warning and anyone surrounding her may think she was mumbling to herself.

For a second he froze.

A pointed smile tipped on Patrick's face as his hand sunk between her legs, his fingers barely brushing the edge of her cotton panties before Rosemary pulled her metal ruler from her pencil case and sunk the corner of it into his hand.

He yelped, pulling his hand away as though he was touching fire, the corner dragging deeply into his skin. The ruler dug through, rolling across his muscle. The class including Rosemary looked at him, everyone blinded to the amused smirk that only he could see from the girl whom had just drawn blood.

"Mr.Hockstetter, is there an issue?" Patrick was no idiot. Despite being an apathetic student, there was an underlying genius behind many of the actions he proceeded with that weren't controlled by his hormones. He was smart enough to know that to stay in school and learn the very little he wanted to learn in Anatomy, he had to wise up in his other subjects. He was smart enough to know that like himself, Rosemary was much more intelligent and manipulative then her innocent shell portrayed.

It was that shell that protected her.

"No sir" Patrick mumbled, grasping the thin cut which twisted from his wrist to second knuckle. "No issue at all"

He didn't bother her for the rest of class.

•••