3

It only took us five minutes, if that, to find the camp. We got there before dark, at least. The sun was just dipping over the tops of the trees; it cast a beautiful orange glow on the few clouds that floated freely above the tortured world.

There was a campervan and a couple of other cars parked round a huge campfire. It was a cosy little set up. Someone sat up on the roof of the campervan called something down to the four or five people huddled around the campfire, but we weren’t close enough to hear it. It truly was a sight for sore eyes.

The woods looked like it could either offer some much needed protection or hide the very monsters that we’re running from out of site, ready to come and bite us when we least expect it.

The moment that thought entered my mind I knew I’d never be able to get it out, it was the kind of thought that would just linger and catch you off guard.

Daryl turned the car off after getting a reasonable distance away from the camp, causing both Merle and Rebecca to jolt awake without the comfort of the car vibrating to keep them asleep.

I was the first to step out of the car and head over to the campsite.

The person on the roof climbed down the ladder and came over to greet us.

“You must have seen our message; I’m Dale, I’m glad to see some new faces.” A kind faced elderly gentleman said.

“Emilia, yeah, I can’t tell you how great it is to find someone stuck in the same boat as us.” I said firmly shaking Dale’s hand.

It didn’t take very long to meet everyone, there weren’t many people here. There was Jim; he seemed pretty quiet, seemed like he’d keep himself to himself. I’d been told that he escaped from Atlanta, he’d come here for the safety on time, but when everything went bad, he got out.

Another was Glenn, but I hadn’t had the chance to meet him yet, he was in Atlanta apparently getting supplies for camp.

There was also Carol and her young daughter Sophia. I hadn’t really spoken to Carol much, but I had talked to Sophia about the flowers near camp.

There was also Dale, the older man who owns the RV. He seemed friendly enough, I think I’d thanked him over twenty times already for letting us stay here at his camp; he’d got here first with the two sisters, Andrea and Amy. They were nice too, Amy was only a few months older than me, but it was Andrea who I felt I got along with most.

I was sat in Dales RV talking to her now.

“So you arrived with Dale, how’d that happen?” I asked.

“I was driving Amy back to her college, when it all hit, we heard the broadcast on the radio about how Atlanta is safe and all, but we ran out of gas; Dale picked us up in his camper. When we got here though it was the same story as everyone else, they’d already closed it, walkers had already got in.”

“That means everyone’s dead, there must be millions of walkers in there! But that guy, Glenn, goes in there every day? Is he mad?”

“He’s tactful; he knows how to move around the city before the walkers can surround him.”

“For his sake I hope he is as good as you say he is.”

“Anyway, enough of Glenn, I want to know how you ended up with those people, they’re a family right? The brothers seem the complete opposite of you and the other girl.” I smiled a little; I wasn’t smiling at what she’d just said though. I was smiling at how I no longer had to be cooped up in that tiny car with Daryl.

“I was at the hospital and Daryl, the younger brother, saved me from...” I paused.

“A walker?”