19

Early upload. :D Here, enjoy. (:

We continued to trudge through the sodden ground. It was still raining and with each drop I felt my hopes of finding Daryl deplete.

The thought of Alex was also on my mind. I don’t think I could ever try and replenish my relationship with Shane after what he did; he killed Alex in cold blood. No one deserved to experience such fear before being shot in the head. Admittedly he had been bitten, but Shane could have waited, could have given us a chance to explain what was happening and to say goodbye. There was no need for that level of cruelty.

“Get down.” Tyreese hissed, tugging me to a crouch behind a fallen tree. His frantic tone told me not to ask any questions, and I didn’t need to. Any questions I had were answered when I saw what he’d seen.

Two burly men were holding another man with a sack over his head by the arms. My mouth dropped slightly, there were only two people, but they definitely looked nasty. I began to wonder what this man had done to be treated in such an awful manner. They hauled him into a small cabin and I noticed a third man following behind them, he appeared to be giving the orders. Squinting to try and see him better, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I know him but for the life of me I don’t know where from.

“We’ve got to go.” Tyreese whispers.

“What about that man?” I hiss back. “We can’t just leave him!”

“We’ll come back tomorrow, we can’t stay out here tonight, it’s getting dark.” He’s being completely reasonable. I fully understand how unsafe it is for us to stay out in the open all night, especially next to those people, but I can’t just leave him there. What if they kill him?

“I know how stupid it is, but I’m staying, I’m getting that man out of there tonight. I’ll see you at the house.” I whisper before crawling towards the cabin. I know what I’m doing is dangerous, but I can’t just stand by and watch. That way I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself, I would feel like I’d sentenced him to death, whoever this man was.

If I happened to be in this much of a mess, I’d hope someone would risk their life to help me out, to get me out of whatever I’d gotten myself into.

Suddenly the recognition hit me like a bullet to the chest. It was Mike from the shop. He was giving the instructions on what to do with the prisoner they have hostage. I stood up a little and looked through the window. They’d tied their prisoner to a chair and appeared to be asking him questions. He still had the sack covering his face and his head was bowed slightly with exhaustion.

I heard the crack of a stick to the left of me and instinctively turned to see who it was, expecting the worst. Expecting to have been caught. I hadn’t, Tyreese had joined me.

Giving a small smile, I mouthed him a thank you and looked back inside. As much as he wanted to leave and get back to the group he’d stayed. I guess I could trust him after all. He hasn’t shot me in the back yet, at least.

Inside the men had tugged off the sack covering their hostage’s face. I squinted to try and see if it was Daryl; a small part of me hoped that it was. I’d know he was alive then, even if he was being beaten up and held against his will by these men. The rest of me, however, hoped that he was safe, that he’d made his way to the rest of the group and was okay. That this was some other person. The cabin was dark, though, so I couldn’t see who it was.

I noticed there was a man missing, Mike was still inside, giving orders and another man was still questioning their hostage. Where’s the third man?

“Lookie, lookie, we’ve got a couple of peeping Toms out here.” A man said from behind me. My question was answered in the worst way possible.

The man didn’t give either of us a chance to run before hitting us with the butt of his gun. My vision blurred before turning to black; the last thing I remember is that he walks slowly closer to me before I slipped into a deep state of unconsciousness.