~ Teaser ~

Asriel Dremurr had never known himself capable of running. He wasn't exactly the brightest light on the Christmas tree. He was just another face in a crowd, just another monster without a name, soon to have his own face featured in the Chicago Times, properly labeled under Obituaries.

There seemed to be a stark humor behind murder. Those that decided to commit such an act truly rendered themselves above all others. They believed themselves to be at the very center of the universe, that because they interpreted and saw the world, logically everything was about them. They were locked within their own delusion of reality, refusing to admit that billions more shared it with them.

They cared nothing about the stories of others, the stories of the people that they killed. There was no distinguishing between the blade and the body. Because who cared that all odds went against Asriel's very existence, that so many timelines and runs had been in his name at Frisk's attempt to give him a second chance.

Second chance? Asriel reflected wryly as he scaled a chain-link fence. Why did Frisk of all people seem so hell-bent in giving others second chances? How many times had they turned on the people that had they had called their family, hunted down monsters from their homes, slaughtered and tortured the entirety of the Underground in every way imaginable.

Yeah, Asriel remembered all of that.

The truth was, Asriel wasn't even sure of himself what had happened this timeline, what set it so different from the countless others he has been through. Frisk seemed to have made a break through, had been able to transfer his consciousness from Flowey into his own reconstructed body.

But how?

Asriel had his own theories, his own ideas on what Frisk had done. Because after the incident, after Frisk had achieved the impossible, made him feel again, hadn't Frisk seemed so empty? Like they were missing something, something so vital and so important that it was impossible to live without?

Something like a soul?

There were memories, memories that lingered from time to time in the back of Asriel's being. They were like the dreams that your mind was so fond of tucking away, only reachable if you concentrated long and hard. He had been able to brush against these memories, memories of genocide and pacifist runs buried on top of one another. But they weren't his memories. He was certain of it.

And these memories, these memories that weren't quite Asriel's, memories that seemed to belong to Frisk instead of him, was the ultimate defining evidence that he had gathered that Frisk had managed to tear their soul from their body and plant it into him, allowing him in turn to gain a mortal form and start anew again.

Life had progressed like any happy ending. Asriel had been reunited with his mother and father, the monsters made it to the Surface. The humans, startled at first, gradually accepted monsters into their society.

Until it wasn't a so happy ending.

One of the most prevalent issues was food. How could Earth habit several thousand extra mouths to feed? Because with the addition of monsters, the total population of self-aware life forms upped to near nine billion in a matter of months as monsters made their mass exodus from the Underground. Farms that were equipped to provide for seven billion were now worked over time. The machine was pushed so fast that there was little time to catch up before it collapsed in on itself.

Poverty, hunger, it was a scene straight from a Tim Burton movie. Countries began pointing fingers, diplomatic conversations escalated into mass shootings at the United Nations, the symbol of all world-wide peace and diplomacy. And then someone found themselves slamming their hand down on that big red button, sending forth a nuclear warhead that would soon be accompanied with a torrent of hundreds more.