10. Unity

A gust of black clouded your vision, the ebony black of a raven's wing draped over your gaze. It remained there for some time as you plummeted to the ground below, refusing to yield despite your constant attempts to remove it. "Fly," the raven cackled, its voice on the verge of insanity. "Only when you see can you truly fly."

This is what it was like to die, you reflected grimly. Your life naught flashed before your eyes, but rather a long and spectacular drawn out scene of some comedy occurred. For some reason, your subconscious had chosen to create this odd scene as you plummeted to your death.

Except you should have been dead by now, a wonderful human pancake that had splattered onto the cracked pavement of the rundown Chicago city. Were you even falling? There was no deterrent of the breeze that gave an indication of you hurling several miles an hour towards the ground below, no odd rush of adrenaline, nothing.

"Do you see now?" the faceless raven asked, its wing still draped over your eyesight. A brief part of you wanted to acknowledge that yes, you did understand its hidden, cryptic meaning. But the sheer frustration that roiled within your deepest fibers refused to acknowledge whatever the raven was attempting to show you, refusing to take part in its sadistic riddle.

"I don't see anything!" you spat out the retort. "It's quite hard to see anything with your damn wing in the way!"

"Mistress warned me that you would be like this, she said that you were very stubborn. But Raven was a good soldier, Raven told Mistress that he could handle the assignment, that he could make [Y/N] see what they could not." The raven seemed disappointed in you if that was even possible. Humiliation only helped to stoke the flames of growing frustration that raged inside of you.

"I can see perfectly fine," you spat. "There's darkness and - "

But there wasn't just darkness, not really. Beneath the black abyss of the raven's wing could you see something more, the gateway to a world of fire and fury, one of desolation and agony. The brutality that existed within this nameless world dwarfed greatly the sufferings that your universe had endured, making Chicago seem like a paradise when comparing the two different universes.

Hundreds of souls walked in an empty room. There were no distinct features or anything at all about this room where the souls dwelled. It seemed that someone or something had taken the souls and thrown them into a box, driving the lot of them slowly into insanity.

"This is his work," the raven clicked happily. "Mistress said that you had to see for yourself, that words would change nothing until you saw what you must do."

"I-I can't free them!" you replied, still dumbfounded and confused by the happenings that were occurring. Who was this Mistress and other-dimensional villain that the raven kept referring to, and what the hell had that room been? And why weren't you dead?

"That is not [Y/N]'s job, those souls are just an example of his doings. In order to understand who you are to face, you must learn first his mind. Only when you know his mind can you truly vanquish your enemy."

"But who - " You shook your head, dumbfounded. You didn't have time to play these games, not when the fate of your world was at stake. You still had Mayor Grimes to work against, to free the monsters from their heinous enslavement. "I can't help you,"
you finished at last. "My duty is here, to my friends, to - " The word Sans hung on the edge of your lips, halting your speech.

"You must see without seeing!" The raven screeched. "Foolish child, do you not understand? Mistress wants you to see, to see the real danger that your world is facing. All worlds will perish if you do not stop him, the King will become the World Eater as the legends of old herald. But Mistress does not want that, she wants the universes to live!"