5. Fly Away

"Are we ever going to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" Sans asked, purposefully keeping his distance from you. There were still bits of dust that clung to his black overcoat, the tip of the knife was just barely visible from where he had fastened it against his belt loop. There was almost an edge to his voice, daring you to bring up Papyrus' name, daring you to bring up the talking point that he had been trying to hide for so long.

"You know..." You poked around the subject lightly. The memory of his blue iris flashed through your mind. You weren't sure why it bothered you so much, why the single glowing blue eye had hit a nerve and stuck itself there. For some reason, you felt that if you even brought up his brother's name, the blue eye would flash to life, be the last thing you ever saw before he...

Killed you?

Hadn't he done that before?

You shook off the memories, knowing that if you dwelled upon them any longer, it would drive you insane. What did it matter if you had lived a past life? Perhaps even more? What mattered was the events currently going on now and the thousands of lives that were at stake, humans and monsters alike.

The food that Papyrus had consumed seemed to be of recent production, meaning that any new shipments of food were no doubt ready to infect the minds of monster-kind, ready to turn them into whatever the hell Papyrus had been transforming into. It seemed that at first he had lashed out against his own will while the poison went to work, slowly eating away at his mind and memories until there was nothing left but a shell.

The perfect slave race.

If anything, it was genius. You didn't agree with Mayor Grimes' actions, they were cruel, horrific, heartless. But it was preventing a civil war, a war that would kill both species no matter the outcome. Silently destroying any self-will of the monsters while the humans seemed to remain above it all.

Because, their reasoning was, if humans and monsters alike ate the same food and it had some sort of poison in it, wouldn't that harm the humans as well? By the time any monster put two and two together, it would be when their brain had begun to decompose and leak out of their nose...

"This way," Sans instructed, taking a sharp turn to the right. His skeletal hand wrapped around yours, the cold, dead feel of it sending chills down your spine. The two of you winded down a series of alleyways and apartment complexes until you arrived at a home a few blocks away. Unlike the crumbling state of disrepair that was reflected with the other dwellings of the monsters, this apartment complex almost seemed to be tended too. There were even gardens that seemed to flourish here, flourish in a world that was nothing but destruction and sorrow.

Something seemed so damn familiar about the buttercups.

"Asgore is the king of the monsters," Sans explained as he knocked on the door. "Even with Grimes as the self-appointed dictator of Chicago, we still look up to Asgore, always will. He'll know what to do, he always knows what to do."

There was helplessness in Sans' voice, the voice of a child who had been thrown onto the streets and left to fend for himself, forced to grow up in a matter of seconds while others got to have the whole eighteen-year experience.

"Sans - " You warned, remembering Papyrus' violent nature in the first stages of the drug or whatever the dull it was. There was always the possibility that Asgore had unknowingly consumed if within the last few hours as well, rendering him to a sporadic outburst at any unsuspecting visitor.

However, he had already begun to push the door open, determined that his king was still alive, still capable of producing his own thoughts and emotions. What would happen if he wasn't? Would Sans just have to keep killing monster after monster after monster until he realized there was no stop to this madness?