6. Castle

Across the city of Chicago, the beginnings of the sun's rays were peaking over the rooftops. Humans had begun to stir from their slumber, unaware of the chaos that had consumed the western half of their city. Monsterkind had been thrown into chaos and disrepair, families divided and at each other's throats as the drug hidden in their food consumed their minds and memories.

Some who hadn't consumed any food soon realized that whatever was bringing about this violent state was in the food. However, those that were quick to catch on usually succumbed to the drug after being attacked and infected by some unsuspected family member, or failing to realize that the water supply as well contained the venom.

The two stages of the drug varied from monster to monster. The first could range anywhere from thirty minutes to six hours, and the second stage usually followed after that, when their brain was completely corroded. That was most common speculation anyway, but the more scientific explanation was that the drug ate away at the prefrontal cortex, leaving the rest of the mind intact. It wiped the slate clean and created the perfect work force, the perfect army.

The eight-ó-clock bell tolled within the heart of the city, signaling the beginning of the new work day. Mayor Grimes smiled to herself as she stood looking over the entirety of the city from her sixty-eighth story apartment, watching as the first of the converted monsters headed towards their designated work stations. It was the one memory left behind, where they were to work and they had been doing it for their entire lives.

"The numbers are looking great Ms. Grimes," her assistant secretary James said, entering the room unannounced. "Without pay going to the monsters now, this opens up for more job opportunities and more funds for rebuilding the city. We estimate that the power should be completely restored to the eastern half of the city by the end of the month."

Eastern half, the half claimed by humanity. The western side was to forever be engulfed in darkness. Eventually, when humans were at a high enough state of recovery, monsters would permanently be eradicated. It wasn't like there was anything that could be done. They simply lacked the self-will to even raise a fork without the requested permission.

"Some of our patrols found a disturbance in the western half," James continued tentatively, fear laced in his words.

"So?" Mayor Grimes asked. Rebellion like this was to be expected, but eventually every monster would be forced to succumb to the drug. Every living being required water to live and would eventually have to consume it from the tap or face the long and painful death of dehydration.

"There have been eyewitness accounts of [Y/N] amongst the last few monsters that haven't consumed the drug yet. They might be heading here in a matter of days."

"Days, James," Mayor Grimes doted on the word. "By then the band of rebels will have been eradicated, either by the drug or starvation. If anything, [Y/N] will be the last one alive, and they can't possibly face the entirety of the Chicago police form alone."

"But what about their condition?" James asked, touching the subject lightly in fear of provoking backlash from the mayor.

"James..." Mayor Grimes growled, rubbing her temples. "Even with their condition, [Y/N] is still susceptible to injury as much as the next."

"But why now?" James continued, shaking his head in disbelief. "After all these years, [Y/N] remained impartial to the division between humans and monsters. In fact, their magic levels were even hidden, buried under the idea that they were simply another human, another displaced refugee after the war. But in the last two days, they have begun to recollect their past lives. It's only a matter of time before they realize what they can do - "