13. Corrupted

The journey back to the capital building took longer than you expected, having to dodge bands of rogue humans that had assembled during the time you were gone. It was to be expected that the humans would form a rebellion of the sorts in your absence, given that their leader had been killed and they wouldn't spend the rest of their time living in anarchy. You were still on edge after your conversation with whatever skeleton creature prowled the depths of the underground lab.

You had wanted to deliver the counter-serum to Sans and Undyne personally, there was nothing more to it. Even if they did not yet remember it, they had been your friends in countless timelines before this one. They were just your friends, what else did you expect Sans to be to you? It was quite apparent that he didn't remember the timelines before this one, the timelines where you had slaughtered his brother Papyrus before his very eyes, where the two of you often spent nights tucked away within Waterfall, watching the gemstones glisten like stars above.

You wanted more than anything to remind him, to let Sans know that your fates intertwined far beyond this realm for reasons unknown, but there was a fear that kept you back. Your relationship with him was complicated in the least. You had torn through the Underground, slaughtered his family and friends without reason other than simply being bored, only to then turn around and serve several pacifist runs as if nothing had ever happened.

It was this that made you hesitant. Sure, maybe Sans would accept you with open arms. He could also flip, turn on you with a wave of Gaster Blasters as he had done in the Judgement Hall so many times before and lay waste to your corpse. There was no telling how he would react.

Maybe this was the final timeline and you would no longer be caught in this endless loop of jumping from one timeline to another, but something told you that this would not be the case. You were sure that once you died, your soul would not disappear into the Void, but go to a completely new universe with a different Sans, different world, different everything. Of course, the Sans in each varying timeline was still Sans, often harbored the memories of previous timelines before that and your complicated relationship persisted.

But sometimes Sans didn't remember the history with the two of you, blocked for some unknown reason and he was a completely different version of himself. You shuddered at the vague memory of pleading for your life as a demented form of the comedian, eyes scarlet red and skull cracked wide open, dragging an axe against the freshly fallen snow. You had begged for any sign of remorse but were given none and so the axe fell, ending your life in that wretched timeline. The horror you had felt then...

You had lived a thousand times in a thousand different worlds but for some reason this felt different. Maybe you were no longer afraid of death knowing that there was some life after this world, but a part of you wanted to stay on this waste-barren world, where it was quiet, but there was also the potential for something new. Here there was the possibility for humans and monsters to actually live in peace, both sides realizing that conflict would only lead to each other's utter demise, so peace would be the only logical path to follow. There was hope here.

So you wouldn't tell Sans. You would keep your quiet and start anew, not risking the possibility of triggering some mental reaction from him and resulting in your death. If the tides of fate deterred you to remain only as mutual friends than so be it, for you would rather walk beside him than kneel before him on a yellow-tiled floor, blue light the last thing you saw before the world went cold...

Or perhaps there was a chance for something more.

"It doesn't matter," you whispered to yourself, inclining your head slightly at the rev of a truck engine in the near distance. A slight smile spread across your face as city-issued trucks roared down the street you had been walking on for near a day now, yellow beasts that glistened in the rising sun, containing the counter-serum they were scheduled to deliver.