7. Summer Silence

You awoke to a face.

"Hello [Y/N]." The words registered through your mind with a startling familiarity. For a brief moment, you wondered if you had finally gone insane, wondered if the wall that blocked out the memories from your previous lives had finally broken and you were dealing with the aftermath, a blabbering, drooling mess.

The back of your head was still a bundle of pulsing agony from where a Chicago police task force member had rendered you unconscious with a steel pipe. It seemed illogical to use a taser because that would have been the easier measure of pacifying you. They liked to spice things up occasionally.

Sans.

The name flashed through your slowly recovering memories of the events that had transpired within the last twenty-four hours. In a day, a single instant, the very fabrics of your understanding of life had been ripped away from you as you were once more engulfed in the lives and fate of monsterkind. "If you're wondering about Sans, the skeleton you've grown attached to, he is very much alive," the voice droned on, the beginnings of amusement lacing its words. Was this some sort of sick joke?

"It seems that you and I have a differing definition of alive," you spat, struggling against the restraints that held you captive. You recognized and hated the face that loomed in front of you, the mass of greying blonde hair and dull blue eyes that reflected nothing but self-pity and obsession. Major Grimes had become the ultimate opposition of your existence, the death that you hoped would soon be at your hands. You wanted her to suffer, to feel the agony she had sowed against so many unsuspecting monsters.

"Sans has been subdued," Mayor Grimes corrected her statement and you felt your heart drop. "We've cured him of his illness, how can't you see that [Y/N]? Every monster has a disease, an awful, brutal disease that infects them to their very core. They want to kill, every single one of them. They want to be at the top of the food chain, not the other way around."

Your mind wandered to Papyrus, vague memories of him from previous lives, lifetimes that variated from this one. You didn't just remember him from your brief encounter before Sans had obliterated him into ash. You remembered a town, a snowy one locked away at the very center of the Earth, a town in which the two of you had been friends, a town in which you had even taught him how to prepare edible food. But it had also been a town full of dust, bloodshed, genocide...

"That's not true," you hissed. "Monsters want peace, they want acceptance. They've been locked away for hundreds of years by our actions, don't you think they deserve at least a little compassion? A little mercy?"

"How dare you speak about mercy," Mayor Grimes laughed, shaking her head at the sheer blunt irony of it all. After noting your confusion, the vague understanding that this demented woman was aware of your memories, she elaborated: "If you're wondering how I possibly know about your origins, that you've hopped from alternate realities besides this universe, I have my sources."

"What kind of sources?" you pressed further, hating this doubt, hated being in the dark. Why was everyone so damn wanting of keeping things hidden, drawing out their secrets in one painful display of humorous intent?

When Mayor Grimes refused to answer, it only fueled your anger. "I wish I could kill you," she sighed, picking up a syringe from a nearby table. "Relax," she rolled her eyes upon seeing your panicked reaction. "This serum doesn't work on humans, or at least the sorry excuse of one that you are."

"Look who's talking," you retorted, feeling your blood boil as she set the syringe down. It occurred to you that Mayor Grimes had every second in the world to draw out this encounter. In fact, she seemed to be enjoying it.