Chapter 15: Check

Wandering through the forest, led by the mysterious, humming girl named Ariana, Sol and Yang are taken to an area they've never thought existed.

[Yang] "Is this..."
[Sol] "A nest?"

The two teens gaze around in wonder at their surroundings. The trees, covered in black webs and little spider Grimm crawling over them, blotting out the sunlight.

[Ariana] "This is my home! What do you think?"

While Sol is still utterly bewildered by the blackened forest, Yang takes the initiative to answer.

[Yang] "It's...Great..."

The black haired girl standing lackadaisically in front of them giggles for a moment before replying.

[Ariana] "You don't have to be, um, what was it?"
[???] "polite."
[Ariana] "Right!"
[Yang] "what...what was that sound?"

Yang and Sol, both hearing a strange, loud, hissing noise, turn to face the origin, only to bare witness to the appearance of a large spider Grimm, approximately between half to two thirds the size of the trees.

[Ariana] "Mother!"

Ariana happily runs towards the large Grimm, snuggling into one of its long, black legs comfortably.

[Yang] "Um...Sol?"
[Sol] "Yeah? Oh, right."

Pulling out his mask and placing it on his face, the small spiders shift all of their focus onto the young boy.

[Spider] "I heard about your mask. It gives you power."
[Sol] "Actually, it's more like my power is sealed in it."
[Spider] "you can understand me now?"
[Sol] "I can."
[Ariana] "See mother! I told you he was the same!"
[Spider] "It would appear that he is similar."
[Sol] "I guess that's one way of looking at it."

The large spider creature gazes down at me silently for a while before Yang breaks the silence.

[Yang] "uhh, so, why were we brought here?"
[Spider] "I requested it."

Sol translates the Grimm's words for the blonde before asking a question of his own.

[Sol] "Why?"
[Spider] "Because. Both you and your brother have caught my attention."
[Sol] "y-you know Ryu?"
[Spider] "My children are everywhere in these forests, and I must say, you are both quite strange."
[Sol] "What's that supposed to mean?"
[Spider] "What I mean to say is that, While you are Grimm, you are human, and while your brother is human, he is also Grimm."

Sol blankly stares at the giant spider, unable to fully comprehend the riddle she has just told him.

[Sol] "Um..."
[Ariana] "Mother?"
[Spider] "Yes?"
[Ariana] "there's people coming."
[Spider] "oh? How many?"
[Ariana] "Two. One guy and one girl. They feel weird."
[Spider] "hmm..."
[Sol] "Um, excuse me? Can I ask something about these people?"
[Ariana] "Hm?"
[Sol] "are they wearing black? With white hair and red eyes?"
[Ariana] "Eh~? Can you read minds!?"
[Sol] "I-no, it was just a hunch...but I do know these people."

As he says this, Sol clenches his right fist and places his left hand on the hilt of his sword, strapped to his back. Seeing this, Yang realises that there aren't many people that could cause such an angry, fearful reaction from him.

[Yang] "Is it them?"
[Sol] "...Yeah."
[Ariana] "Not good?"
[Spider] "Can you not feel it my daughter? The fear in his soul."
[Ariana] "So what should we do?"
[Sol] "Get Ariana as far away as possible. I'll try to keep them occupied as long as I can."
[Yang] "Wha- Sol! No! If you're fighting then so am I! If it's who I think it is, then I have a score to settle with them too."

Sol turns to Yang, a look on his face as though he desperately wants her to hide. Seeing the resolute expression on her face however, he gives in.

[Sol] "fine. But as soon as things are looking bad, you run."
[Yang] "Nope."
[Sol] "you-"
[Yang] "Nope."
[Ariana] "I'm not going anywhere either!"
[Sol&Yang] "Huh?!"
[Spider] "This is our home. If they wish to harm it, we shall fight."
[Sol] "Even if it results in your daughter getting hurt?"
[Spider] "She is stronger than you think."
[Sol] "All Of you...so stubborn."

A few hours earlier, the two known as Karmin and Zuri, sit idly in an airship as they await their arrival in the forest. Karmin stares into the orb that rests atop her staff, gazing at the scenes it shows her through the eyes of her many spies.

[Zuri] "What are you watching?"

Karmin notes her cohorts curiosity and decides to share a bit of information with him.

[Karmin] "I'm simply watching all the pieces fall into place."
[Zuri] "so that woman?"
[Karmin] "right, what was her name again? Wiper? Never mind, she has fulfilled her role perfectly."
[Zuri] "And what of the others?"
[Karmin] "The Geist is making its way towards the schnee girl. The foxes have almost arrived at site 6. The monster and the teacher are due to meet very soon. Ryu and his little group have almost reached Kuroyuri, while Sol and the blonde girl have made contact with the spiders."
[Zuri] "so, everything is going as you predicted."
[Karmin] "indeed, which also means that you shall get what you wish."
[Zuri] "I look forward to it."

Materialising his gauntlets on his arms in a wisp of black smoke, Zuri begins checking and double checking the supply of dust while Karmin continues to watch through her crystal at those she considers mere peons; pawns in her little game of chess.

A little while later, the bullhead they are riding in reaches its destination. A few kilometres outside of the forest that holds the giant cluster of spiders.

[Pilot] "We're here. Just a few more clicks to the West till you reach the forest."
[Karmin] "We shall return soon."

The pilot gazes at the pale skinned woman with blushed cheeks before the tall, equally pale skinned, muscular man walks past, causing the pilot to quickly resume his duties as Zuri sends the man a sharp stare filled with killing intent that sends a cold shiver down the pilots spine.

[Karmin] "Now now brother. If you kill him, who will pilot the ship?"
[Zuri] "Hmph."

Karmins words keep the large man from doing anything unwarranted.

[Zuri] "Why did we stop here? Why not further in?"

Zuri asks the question as the pair begins walking towards the forest.

[Karmin] "Don't you think it's more enjoyable if they think they have the upper hand?"
[Zuri] "hm?"
[Karmin] "Simple. A cornered rat is dangerous. But if you bait it out, it will be prone to making mistakes. Costly. Mistakes."

A terrifying, yet oddly seductive smile appears on the pale woman's face; Her eyes, glistening with malicious intent. On the other hand, Zuri's expressionless face shows more than his sisters. With a deadly stare that could pierce a veterans soul and a single minded goal that renders everything else obsolete.

Meanwhile, in a town close to Lie Ren and Nora's hearts, two figures meet. A woman with two large Shuriken strapped to the back of her long, brown coat. Her long, bleach blonde hair is softly blown out of her face as her harsh stare reflects the image of her opponent. A boy, without a shirt to keep hidden the strange scars covering his body that almost resemble tribal markings. Mid-length black hair threatens to cover his piercing, green eyes. A Nuclelavees cry echoes as the boy slams his foot down on the creatures humanoid head, silencing it forever, before turning to face the woman nearby. His eyes fill with hatred at the sight of her as his markings begin to glow with a feint green light.