Chapter 23: Glass Coffin

In the desert of Menagerie, the figures of Gwenn and Rouge can be seen watching in awe as the snow fox Faunus, Aers, takes on the giant sand worm Grimm by himself.

[Cocytus] "Detecting an increase in adrenaline."
[Aers] "What do you expect? I just woke up."

Aers calls out as he runs along the top of the giant Grimm, forming claws of ice on his hands and ripping into the worms thick hide.

[Cocytus] "Your caretakers would be disappointed."

At the mention of the fox Faunus' "caretakers" his eye twitches in anger, prompting him to direct his rage towards the enemy below him. Spinning 180 degrees, he places his hand on the creatures hide, freezing a line across its back as he slides across it. The beast appears to have been angered by the attack and resurfaces next to the boy, swallowing him whole.

[Gwenn] "Aers!"
[Rouge] "Snowman!"

It takes mere moments for the Grimm's massive head to begin freezing over; a thin layer of ice appears over its head before shattering and revealing a calm, if not slightly annoyed, Aers.

[Cocytus] "Battle efficiency at 73%. I suggest immediate reconditioning."
[Aers] "You Shut it! Before turn you off."
[Cocytus] "...Noted."

The oddball group of Faunus and machine continue their slow trek back to the civilised area of Menagerie while the body of the giant Grimm cracks and shatters behind them, eventually fading into black mist, then nothing.

Meanwhile, aboard a small airship, Weiss walks towards the cockpit and places her hand gently on the shoulder of the pilots seat.

[Weiss] "Thank you, for giving us a ride."
[Pilot] "No problem Miss Schnee, you and your Lien are always welcome aboard."

Weiss smiles softly before turning back to see her travel partner. The one eyed boy sits on the steel floor with his back against the wall.

[Weiss] "You as well. Thank you for coming with me."

Tazem turns to face the former heiress, his red eye gleaming in the darkness, sending a strange shiver down the girls spine. The boy smiles softly, calming the white haired girl as she takes a seat across from him.

[Weiss] "We've still got a ways to go."
[Tazem] "That's fine. Just means I get to spend more time alone with you."

Weiss blushes but quickly turns away to avoid eye contact.

[Weiss] "Y-you, the moment we get to where we're going, that's it."

Tazem smirks at the show of embarrassment before closing his eyes and falling asleep almost immediately. Sneaking a peak at the mysterious, sleeping boy in front of her, Weiss' scowl turns into a soft smile of her own as she loses herself in thought.

At this same point in time, Yang and Ariana are in the final part of their journey over the sea, relaxing as Yang leans against the wooden wall with her bike beside her and Ariana leaning over the edge of the boat with a wondrous look in her eyes as she gazes over the wide expanse of ocean. As she watches the waves crash against the ships hull, the small girls thoughts drift back to moments after Sol had run away.

[Ariana] "Mother! Don't leave me!"

Ariana cries out as her mother, The Bone Widow queen, lies there without limbs.

[Peora] "My daughter. My dear, sweet daughter. That you would cry for an old Grimm like me..."
[Ariana] "Mother..."
[Peora] "You're beautiful, radiant smile has given me more happiness than a Grimm like myself should ever have. So, I know this may be a selfish request...Cry all you like now, get it all out, so that your smile might reach others, as it has me."