Chapter 17: Black Prince

Walking down the hall of her lavish home towards her room, Weiss is stopped by her precocious brother.

[Whitley] "Good afternoon sister."

The teenage boy places his hand on his chest and bows slightly.

[Whitley] "A pleasure to see you out of your room for a change."

Weiss sidesteps around the boy before turning to speak.

[Weiss] "Hello Whitley, you're in a cheery mood today."
[Whitley] "Klein made crepes for breakfast.

He clasps his hands behind his back as a smile forms on his face.

[Weiss] "What do you want?"
[Whitney] "I heard father shouting at someone in his study earlier."
[Weiss] "Mother?"
[Whitney] "No, she's already drinking. In the garden. I think it was a man."

A fake, concerned look appears on his face as the conniving boy continues.

[Whitney] "I just wanted to warn you. I heard he asked to speak with you."
[Weiss] "I'll be fine."
[Whitney] "I know you will. You are strong, like Winter."
[Weiss] "You never liked Winter."
[Whitney] "True, but you can't deny her resolve."
[Weiss] "You...seem different."
[Whitney] "And you've been gone. I'll have you know I didn't stop growing while you were at Beacon."

Whitney turns and walks away. As he does, Weiss turns to see an old family portrait on the wall through the corner of her eye before she begins walking towards her fathers study. At the same time, a boy with black hair and cloth covering his right eye has just boarded the train towards the Schnee HQ, a black scythe by his side as he lies atop the roof of the train.

A little under a week later, and Weiss is standing atop a stage on her own. The broken moon shining down upon her through the large windows as she sings a wordless aria. Soon, her wordless aria becomes lyrical, the words echoing her thoughts and feelings perfectly and with nothing held back. When her performance concludes, the Heiress bows to the applauding audience. She looks up towards the balcony her father and brother are watching from. Jacques stays seated, without a hint of applause while Whitley stands, giving his sister a slow, sarcastic clap. She turns to walk from the stage, her feigned smile being replaced by a solemn frown, while the black haired boy claps from outside one of the many windows.

Later, the black and white haired boy enters the ballroom with an upright, polite stance, carrying a tray full of drinks for those attending the ballroom afterparty. He stops next to a young man who gazes at him as though he wasn't worth being here, even as the wait staff, before taking a glass anyway and ushering the boy to move from his sight. As he does as the young man wishes, he notices the Schnee family. Mainly, Weiss who seems to want to leave her fathers company. Eventually, she does so and makes her way towards the painting of Beacon academy, before its fall.

After barely a moment has passed, a young man with dark blue hair and yellow eyes with a precocious and gaudy amount of rings on his fingers decides to begin speaking with her.

[Man] "It's beautiful. You two match."

Weiss simply stands there with her arms folded in front of her, not shifting her gaze from the painting.

[Weiss] "Yes, it's a lovely painting."
[man] "So, that was my attempt at breaking the ice. How am I doing so far?"
[Weiss] "You are leaving a lot to be desired."