1.

~Torrelai's POV~

"You say you're not special because the world doesn't know you, but that's an insult to me. I know about you." - John Green

It was raining when I carried my suitcase in the cold, winters night.
I think it was fantastic as to how my loving parents decide to kick me out on a day that is a. Cold and wet. And b. My birthday.

This was not how I imagined my day going. I pictured it as me, opening my eyes to beams of sunlight escaping from my curtain, with a smile on my face when I see presents that surround me. Instead, I woke up to the sound of pattering rain on the roof, the gloomy sky, and my parents standing side by side, with crossed arms over their chest, awaiting the announcement of my departure.

The event that took place a few hours ago felt like days. I wanted warm clothes, a cup of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows, and the thickest blanket known to man enveloping my body. But most importantly, I wanted shelter. My parents were 'kind' enough to give me a small amount of money to get by for a couple of weeks.

I didn't know where to start. My thoughts were uncoherent and my feelings numbed, but that could just be my toes freezing off due to frostbite.

My hair was soaking wet and clinging to my face, I shove it aside hastily out of annoyance. I was pretty sure I was to have a rash due to my clothes and a cold that would last two weeks.

I almost kissed the ground when I lifted my head to see the sign, literally.
'Jo's motel' wasn't exactly five star and fancy, but it looked warm, comfortable and cozy. I trudged through mud and puddles of water, dragging my suitcase behind me.

I reached the entrance of the hotel, in search of the front desk. I heard everything before I saw it. It was loud and male, I opened the door to a room which would be considered a bar if it was slightly bigger. There were small couches, a round table with what smelled like alcoholic drinks, flashing lights, and a small TV on its loudest volume showing a sports game. Loud cheers erupted from a small group of people seated on the couch. The room smelled musky, but I indicated a scent that could've been dirt after the rain settled.

I shivered as I scanned my surroundings. There was only one person that was not occupied, so I set forth to ask.

"Pardon, would you mind directing me to the front desk?" The girl didn't look at me when I spoke, she huffed smoke from the cigarette she was holding, and clicked her tongue as if to show that she simply didn't care about me or any presence. I was about to turn away when she spoke up in a heavy accent.

"Enter the door to the left, and go straight till you see Jo." She stalked off to join her other friends as soon as she finished her sentence.

I proceeded to the door as told and my ears were filled with classical music. It made me feel as if I was drifting, but I had an anchor to keep me close to the ground. I kept a steady pace as I moved toward the music's source.

My eyes were met with a middle aged woman. She smiled at me with warmth as she noticed me. She was pretty, long blond hair with beaming eyes of blue. Her complexion was one to envy, a gorgeous olive. I wouldn't take her as one to work at a motel, rather as a mother figure gathering up young children and telling stories.

She spoke with a slight baritone. "Hi! Welcome to Jo's, miss. May I help you?" She moved from the desk to gather up my suitcase from my grasp.

"Dear, you're soaking."
I wanted to point out the most obvious 'duh' ever, but remained silent as she observed my state. I could only think what she saw. A young girl, with mascara running down her red, puffy eyes, and a dress sense that screamed homeless-but-not-too-homeless... Yet.