10.

~Torrelai's POV~

Break my heart. I give you permission.” - Cassandra Clare

I've never thought of myself as too eager. But always willing to go along. To think, this morning I almost died of a heart attack. Not literally, of course. Barely morning, the phone rings. I answered it with dread.

"Torrelai. Don't be childish."

I immediately hung up the phone. My mother could barely parent during the time I was a child, one would think she would have learned through the years. Hell, especially after my brother.

The phone rang again, this time I was even more determined to ignore it. I had a lot to deal with besides another possible betrothal for my mother. What would this be? Marriage number five?

I was sick of the cycle. Mother finds a guy way too young for her, proceeds to date him for a maximum of three months, then proposes a marriage, only to get divorced no later than at least two years. My father was the longest marriage, but even that didn't last. The fear crept inside me, and my mind drifted to thought immediately. What if Valentina turns out like her?

I shake my head, and hopefully the aspect of a new family member with it. There is too much crap to deal with. First things first. I need to cancel my date.

After a long thought process, I realized something. I didn't want to be my mother. I would be careful, mindful and most importantly, kind. Distractions are the last thing I need.

I press the correct buttons to contact Blake. The phone rung, and his voicemail came up.

"It's Blake. Busy with better things. Leave a message."

Rolling my eyes while talking, I tried to be respectful.

"Hey Blake. It's Torrelai. I'm sorry for having to leave a message. But I'm going to have to cancel our date,"

I connected my hand to my forehead. What an idiot. I forgot to think of a proper excuse before I so rudely called, can you imagine what would have happened if he was to answer?

"A family thing came up that I need to deal with. I know that sounds extremely lame, but I'll explain everything to you soon when I see you. Sorry again."

My next call would be Valentina. Unfortunately for me, she actually picked up. She immediately started ramming on about her new trip to a different island, when I interrupted in the middle of her boasting.

" Look I just called to give you a heads up. Mom has a new plaything. So be careful. I'm hearing wedding bells in the foreseeable future. So put it on your calendar. Send me pictures of your location. I guess I'm just not in the conversation mood today. Love you. "

I heard a scoffing and muffled words before I hung up, but I was too tired to care. It felt like a self care day. A me day if you will. So I took a bath, and decided to read a book as I drifted off a few hours later.