• 7 •

"My dad's name is Greg and my mom's name is Lianne. They got married, and about a month after I was born, my dad lost his job. At first it was fine. He went to a lot of job interviews and he was determined to get a job, but no one would hire him. He started drinking more and more, until he was engrossed with the concept of drinking to forget feelings and sadness. The second the effect of the alcohol wore off, he went back for more. He didn't want his sadness to resurface, and he didn't want to have to do any work, so he stayed at home. My mom started hinting at a divorce, and that's when the real trouble started. Greg became controlling and abusive. Eventually, late at night, my mom woke me up and we fled. Now, where ever we go, he somehow finds us. He hasn't agreed to a legal divorce, so they're technically still married. We've tried to get him arrested, but he acts sober and innocent."

I stare in shock at Jake. He looks away and I see a tear fall down his cheek.

"Jake."

"What? Your life is perfect and you know it. There's nothing you can say."

I put my arm around him.

"I'm not perfect. I have so many insecurities, but that's not important right now."

"Then what is?"

"There is a police station two blocks from here. You can call your dad and pretend it's just you. Get him in trouble. You have to take this to court."

"That's a good idea. And sorry to burden you with this after we have only known each other for a few months."

"It's fine. I understand what you're going through and it's not a burden. I want to help you with this."

"Ok. Thanks. You don't understand how much this means to me." Jake said as he pulled me in for a hug. "You're such an amazing ..."

"Amazing?"

"I don't know what we are."

"We're in between right now."

Jake and I both felt nervous as we walked into the police station. We walked up to a bored man playing a computer game at the front desk.

"Excuse me, sir?" Jake said. "I need to talk to a police man."

"Oh. I am a police man." He replied. "Actually, I'm not in the mood to work. ELIZA! COME HERE!"

A stern-looking, muscular woman walked out of a back door and walked torward us.

"What's your problem, kids?"

We explained Jake's issue and our solution.

"Ah. I see. Come behind the screen door and let's dial your father's number." She said as she picked up a walkie talkie. "I need witnesses. Code 3. Come to the front office, Greg and Jimothy."