• 8 •

I was shaking as I stared at the phone in Jake's hands as he talked with his father. The police were rapidly writing information in notepads and recording the conversation on a small device. It felt like I was underwater and I could barely hear what Jake was saying. This had never happened before. I had never been this nervous. I felt like I was about to have a panic attack, but I couldn't understand why since this wasn't my family affair. 

That's when it hit me. I was extremely scared for Jake. I had never felt this worried for any of my friends, or whatever Jake and I were, before. There was something about Jake that pulled me in and made me care about him in an extremely short amount of time. 

I was interrupted from my thoughts by a tap on my shoulder. 

"We will arrest him immediately." Eliza informed me. "You kids can go now."

Jake and I walked out together, him smiling to himself. He turned to me and grabbed my hands gently. 

"Thanks Adva. I couldn't have done this without you."

"No problem." I responded and I smiled. I moved a step closer to Jake, leaned forward, and kissed him. I felt him stiffen up in surprise but then relax. Immediately I feel panic seize my stomach. Regret.

I pulled away and smiled up at him nervously. "Sorry. I just - I've wanted to do that since I met you. But I don't know why I did that."

Jake looked down at me surprised and didn't say anything. I grabbed his hand and he didn't pull away, but he also didn't hold me back. I looked into his eyes trying to read them. I couldn't see any emotion.

"I'm gonna go now, I guess." I slowly pulled my hand away and started walking back to my apartment.