The vent

Joel's POV

"There has to be an exit." Lauren says. There is a slight edge of panic in her voice.
"I'm up for suggestions." I say.
"We could...uh..." she tries to think of an answer but her words will not come out of her mouth.
"I don't have a plan..." she mutters, defeated.
"I have a plan. Lets just sit back and wait for death." I say to her.
"That's a terrible plan. How could you give up so easily. You have been here for only 1 day. I vhave been here for 2 weeks. He fed me once every day. He used to hit me." She shivers. "But I haven't given up. I will fight Oli until my death."
I sit back. What a horrible day. I just hope Lizzie is okay. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep...

"Joel! Joel wake up!" Lauren whispers.
"What?" I ask still half asleep.
"Look up!" She seems so excited. I look up and notice a vent. I look at her confused. She sighs and explains.
"We can use the rope to pull the grate down and then we can use the chair to get up to it. We can escape!" I see the hope in her eyes.
"We can try" i mutter.
We take the rope and I stand on the chair to attach it to the grate.
"1
2
3
Pull!"
We both pull at the rope. The grate was much easier to open than I though it was going to be. It falls down to the ground with a mighty noise.
"Quick!" I tell her. I can hear Oli climbing up the stairs. The sound echoes through the house. I push her up as she climbs through the vent. I then stand on the chair as she takes my hand to help me up...

The door opens. Oli comes bursting in.
"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS THINK YOU ARE DOING?!"
He tries to grab my legs but I manage to escape him.
"Go!" I shout at Lauren. She starts crawling through the vent as fast as she can. There is no way he can get up in the vent with us without any help. We crawl until we find the exit.
"We found it..." Lauren says crying.
"How do we open the grate?"
We did not think of that... our hands are not strong enough and we didn't bring the rope with us.
"I have a belt!" I reply after thinking for a while. We wrap the belt around the grate and pull.

Finally, the grate opens.
"Noooo..." Lauren says quietly. I look infront of her. We are at the 2nd floor.
"We-we can jump." I say although I am not too sure.
"Are you sure?"
"No. But hey. We have to try right?" I take a shaky breath and then jump down to the grass below me. I feel the ground under my feet. It doesn't feel like anything happened.
"See? I'm fine! You can do it!" I yell at her. She closes her eyes and jumps down. I rush to catch her. She falls into my arms. Despite the circumstances we both manage to laugh. This situation is so ridiculous.

*Sorry for not uploading daily anymore! Its just taking too much time! Im really sorry. Hopefully you still like the story❤
Yeah.. sorry. Bye💖💖