Chapter 7

"See you all on Friday," I called out over the sound of students rushing to collect their things along with the clanging sound of the bell. My heart nearly dropped down to my belly and drowned in the stomach acid as I realize that today was Thursday; the clock read 12:12 which gave me roughly 15 minutes to eat my lunch. I all but scarfed down my turkey and lettuce wrap while marking some papers in the process. 

As I was grading worksheets, Mabel's caught my eye and Colton's was behind it; it seemed as though her's was completed while his remained incomplete and the one's that he had done were identical to her's, give or take a few words. Before I had the chance to check Mabel's off there was a knock at my door.

"Hey, little lady," Dustin's deep voice entering my ears caused my heart to do a little flutter as I glanced at him through my glasses the flutter quickly changed to a thumping.

"Hey." I managed to choke out after I had taken the last bite of my wrap, I hadn't tore my eyes away from the worksheets, the pile was decreasing and I knew I would have to face him sooner or later. As of right now, later sounded ten times better.

"What's a matter? Did you have an alright time the other day?" I gathered enough courage to face him and once I had I immediately regretted him, my heartstrings tugged so hard I thought once they retracted my heart would have shot out and landed on the desk. A frown had covered his full, pink lips which resulted in a frown covering my own.

"Nothing, babe, everything's peachy." I assured him, the "babe" slipped out of my mouth naturally, it wasn't a sentence I had constructed in my head before I blurted it out. Once it had floated into the air, the frown was replaced with a side smile and a feeling of pride surged through my veins as I realized that I was the cause of it.

"Babe, huh?" He smirked, his brown eye hold specks of blue within it just as his blue one had specks of brown, his dirty blonde hair was mostly dirty and could bring just about any girl to her knees with a simple look in their direction.

"It was an accident, it won't happen again," I started as I looked at him with widened eyes and a head that was continuously shaking side to side trying to tell him to disregard the mistake.

"I mean, I wouldn't mind all that much if it did happen again." His smile etched it's way into the sentence, I hadn't even looked his way, instead I looked down with my ringlets of curly hair covering my face and the tint of red on my cheeks. In my best effort to avoid boosting his ego all that much more.

"I'm sure you wouldn't." I mumbled still not making eye contact.

"So, I'm here on official business," He folded his hands and dropped them into his lap, his two muscular legs were spread open which was taunting to me, "what's the deal on this here, boy." Dustin's eyebrow raised and he took on the older, protective brother persona that made me bite my lip as words danced through my mind. I was very much aware that my next choice of words had to be carefully selected.

"Oh look at the time! The kids will be getting done lunch soon," I stood from my chair and encouraged him to do the same, although he wasn't budging, he merely glanced at me with an amused expression.

My eyes glanced from him to the clock, my heart rate increasingly getting faster as the red hand rounded it's way to the 12, suddenly the back and forth glancing stopped as the bell rung and students piled into the hallway and soon, my classroom.

"Dustin?" A soft voice flew through the atmosphere, bouncing off the walls a little before the room was filled with more and more students. Other female students were giving Dustin approving looks which caused my eyebrows to turn inward and my feet brought me closer to him.

"Hey Mabel! Where's this boy Colton?" Dustin had no off button.

"I'm Colton." Colton's once strong, intimidating to all other teenaged boys, voice was now weak. Dustin turned to him, did a once over, stood from his chair and proceeded to leave the classroom. Not before he smirked at the trembling figure and laughed bit.

"He has no off button." Mabel grumbled, hardly audible but she received a head nod from me.

"No, he does not." I added a little tongue click before turning to the rest of my class. "Today, we will be switching seats!" As if on cue, groans filled the room and a smile fell onto my lips.