Chapter 13

Opal walked into my classroom the next morning by herself, usually she would be gripping onto Max until the second bell rang and they were dismissed to their seats. My eyebrow raised in a questioning way, although her eyes haven't moved from the gaze they casted towards the floor. "Oh, is Max not here today?" I couldn't plug my throat and stop the words from slipping out of my mouth, she hesitantly raised her head.

"Yeah, he is," another voice answered, I never directed my question towards any one pupil, although everyone had felt the tension in the atmosphere. After the late bell rang, Max stumbled in; his eyes bloodshot with gray, waning crescent moons on the undersides.

"Max." My tone held steady and strong as his gaze slowly lifted to meet my own, he flashed me a lopsided smile his eyes closing on their own accord. "Come here," I beckoned him with my index finger motioning him in my direction. He stood, wobbling while grasping onto each student's desk as he made his way to the front of the classroom. His hand grabbing onto one of his buddy's head who was seated in the front row, he didn't move after that.

"Max, come here." My voice raised the slightest bit, I tried my hardest to not be a strict teacher, however the circumstances made it necessary.

Max wobbled once his hand slipped from the comfort of knowing he was going to be stable slipped out the window, as well. Suddenly, as if he was given a strong pat on the back, he was thrown towards my desk and his large hands gripped onto my wooden desk; the red in his eyes was prominent against their naturally light gray color.

"Is everything alright? Would you like to go to the nurse and lie down?" If he had so wished to explain the circumstances to me then, he would do that on his own time, I was not one to pry.

Just like that, a half smile spilled onto his lips- a sign of relief that I wasn't about to send him down to see someone of higher authority than myself. "Yeah, yeah, okay." Was his reply and in turn I offered a gentle smile in his direction, "Jonathan, please help Max to the Nurse's office," I asked the student whose head had just been used as a cane by Max. With a nod, they both exited the classroom although I didn't fail to notice the exchange of sad looks between Opal and Max; as Max left Opal watched the door close with a frown coloring her face and Max watched sadly as he was carried away from her.

"We're going to watch Romeo and Juliet and afterwards we will make real life connections." I already had one in mind, as I announced the lesson plan to my class.

After dismissing my class to lunch, I slumped into my chair and blew out a breath that I hadn't remembered holding

After dismissing my class to lunch, I slumped into my chair and blew out a breath that I hadn't remembered holding. Reaching for my purse, I dug around until I found my phone and clicked on the calling and voicemail app, my fingers danced across the buttons before I brought the phone to my ear and was greeted by the sound of dial tone.

"Thompson and Cruz, this is Beverley speaking, how can I help you?" My voice was suddenly caught in my throat and my mind was sent into a funk.

"I uh, I need a lawyer," my cheeks became red-hot with embarrassment as the chuckle floated from the speaker into my ear, shaking my head I regained my composure, "I'm sorry. I've never done this before." I offered a light laugh although, there was nothing funny about my situation.

"Alright doll, hold tight while I transfer you to Mr. Thompson." The smile was evident in her tone, as if she was trying to be as earnest as possible.

"Thank you," I shuffled into a more relaxed position as the sound of elevator music filled the speaker and reached into my purse to retrieve the bagel I had packed for lunch. Unwrapping it, I bit a chunk out, seeing as it had been two minutes since I was put on hold - I figured I had time to kill.

"Ace Thompson at yo-" My ears began to ring and my heart pounded as I quickly fumbled with my phone to hit the end call button. Sitting up a little straighter, I chewed the rest of the bread that I hadn't swallowed whole through my fit of coughing. Bending forward I threw my head into my hands letting my curls fall around me and cover my face from the students that were currently piling in through the door.

"Miss. Parsons? Are you alright?" A soft voice questioned and my eyes immediately widened as I glanced up and shot Mabel a small smile and head nod.

Even better, I thought, Dustin is back in town.