Chapter 33

Pink tinged Abbie's cheeks as Carson leaned closer to her and whispered something into her fully-pierced ear to which she replied with a fit of giggles. My gaze drifted over to where Colton sat, his blue eyes were fixated on the ground as his partner worked silently on their worksheet next to him. His hands clasped together, he was studying something with great observation and I followed his line of sight only to find the tiled flooring staring back up. The bell rung and he had snapped out of his daydream, "Colton? Can you come here?" I called as most of the classroom had filed out, Carson staying close behind Abbie as they left.

He began walking towards me, his head hanging low like a dog who had been yelled at for doing his business in the house. "Yes, Miss. Parsons?" He asked once he was closer and the last student had leisurely walked out the door into the crowds.

"Is everything okay?" I had already known the answer, though I felt like he had needed to admit it.

He released a slow breath while his right hand fiddled with his belt loop. "No, Mabel's left me and I don't know what to do."

I pressed my lips together in a thin line and laced my fingers together pressing them into my lap as I twisted from side to side in my chair. "Suppose there's nothing you can do but be patient." I finally settled on saying, the look on his face told me that wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"Yeah," he barked out something that mocked a laugh and without another word made his way out the door.

"I'm glad you girls invited me to tag along." My mom said as she sat a chair down from me with her feet outstretched, the kind woman readying them for the polish.

"Why wouldn't we, you're our mom." Harper piped in from between the both of us. She had opted for a bright red color making my mom and I look like prudes as we settled for a light nude shade.

"So, RaeLynn, how's school been treating you?" She asked tilting her head the slightest bit to look at me.

I bit my lip recalling the conversation I had with Colton earlier, "good."

She raised an eyebrow as she heard this, "that's all you have to say? It's good?".

"You know, Rae's been playing cupid, go ahead Rae, tell her about your matches made in heaven." Harper's voice was full of innocence as she spoke, and I knew she had meant no harm, she merely wanted something to converse about, though the death glare I sent her said I was thinking otherwise.

"Really!?" My Mom's voice was full of wonder. "Yes, please tell me more!" She wiggled in her seat a bit and the woman working on her feet glanced up, shooting her a dirty look. "Sorry." Mom whispered shrugging a bit but turning the upper part of her body in my direction regardless.

I looked at the woman filing away at my toenails and instantly felt bad at the poor conditions they had been in prior to this visit, "well this girl Abbie and this boy Carson seem to really be hitting it off."