1•2

Step Two: Breaking

Axel closed his eyes, basking in the feeling as the wind blows through his thick raven hair.

Charlie sits next to him, her chocolate colored eyes staring at an old couple walking hand in hand. "You wanted to talk?"

"I cried last night." He says, forcibly biting back the emotions. "I don't know why. It's been almost a month, Charles. I just don't understand why I can't get over her."

It hurt her to see him like this; to see a boy who didn't cry when he lost his mother to lung cancer admitting to crying over a girl who couldn't care less.

Like all the others who know Axel, even Charlie thought that they were beautiful together; a picture perfect couple. Yet, some part of her is wallowing in guilt. She should've known that the girl was here just to play with the heartstrings of her best friend.

Axel leans back on the park bench with a sigh of frustration. "I've always felt numb whenever I was supposed to feel pain, you know? Yesterday, I redefined pain, Charlie. It felt like my heart was being ripped apart; not once, but over and over and over again."

"In time, you will learn to forget, to understand what is worthy and what is not." She replies, her voice dropping a few octaves lower. "It may not be today, or tomorrow, or even the next year. But people who fall will always rise, Ax; and when they do, they rise stronger, and more vehement than ever before."