1•5

Step Five: Fixing

Axel grabs his wallet and slides it into the right pocket of his jeans. "I'm heading out, Charles," He yells, walking toward the front door.

"See you soon!" Charlie shouts back as she tries to get the toaster to work.

The cold wind blows against Axel's face. He smiles. He's always liked winter. Scott used to say that the cold teaches one how to treasure warmth. Axel walks into the supermarket, pulling out the list of groceries scribbled down in Charlie's messy handwriting.

He wanders about searching for canned tomatoes, scanning through the shelves. On finding it, he shoots his hand forward to grab it, accidentally hitting a girl who was walking the other way.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry." He apologizes, drawing his hand back.

"It's o-" The girl stops abruptly. "Axel?"

"Oh, hey Lynn," He smiles. "Sorry about that."

"It's, uh, it's alright. How are you?" She asks, fiddling with the blue purse in her hands.

"Oh, I'm doing well. Charlie's still making me buy groceries for her." He chuckles, grabbing the canned tomatoes and tossing it into the shopping cart.

Lynn found herself not being able to say anything. She wanted him to regret losing her, to cry over her and beg her to come back. But Axel didn't try to speak to her; not even once. She could see that he was happy. His green orbs were shining in content, and just like every night after their break up, she could feel the tears of regret pricking her eyelids.

Axel looks at her in concern. "Lynn?"

"Oh," She says, slipping out of her reverie. "Just like she used to, yeah?"

He laughs. "I guess. I have to go. See you around."

"Ax, wait!" She calls as he begins to walk away.

He turns around. "Yeah?"

"Uh, are you, you know, happy?" She forces out, perturbation lacing her voice.

"Lynn, some things stay, and some things don't. But if I trundle, if I fall, if I wail for everything I lose, my life would be just another sob story; and I don't find that very appealing." He replies gently, wistfulness hidden in his tone. "I guess I'm reveling in the feeling of overcoming heartbreak. I hope you do too."

With one last smile, Axel turns around and walks away; the equanimity brought by closure flowing through his veins.