2•3

Step Three: Falling

"What's wrong?" Lisa asks, kneeling next to where her sister sat.

Lynn smiles brightly as she looks up from her book. It was Axel's favorite, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Maybe it was when he had kissed her temple as she read it for class, that she first felt her heart leap. Anna Arkadyevna Karenina, beautiful and tastefully reserved but yet, so vain and hopeless.

"I'm great," she says, mindlessly wondering if she could make her grin any bigger, or even believable. "Why do you ask?"

"Why do you lie to me?" Lisa questions, pulling the book away. She takes a look at the cover and frowns. "Your boyfriend, did he do something?"

"No, no, not at all," Lynn quickly says. She had only dated Axel to avenge her sister's broken heart; it was funny how the game she tried to play blended itself into a blissful reality that she would never want to get rid of. "We're great."

Of course, Lisa didn't know who she was dating. She had trusted Lynn enough to be with a good person when she'd first found a vase of stunning red roses that said 'From me, to mine' on the card. Lynn didn't know how Axel had found out about her love for books and flowers, or maybe he didn't, but with every little act of affection, Lynn was falling into a void of inevitable despair.

Lisa sets the book aside, nodding slightly. "I love you. I want you to be with the right person, please don't let him hurt you."

Oh, only if she knew how wrong she is.