Chapter 4

Confusion rattled Leo's brain, even through the next morning. When Bella decided to go for a walk, Leo went as well, but stayed far enough behind her sister that she remained undetected.

Conversation wasn't her biggest want in the world at the moment.

Bella's POV

The vampire moved towards me, the thrill of the hunt truly making him look as vicious as his intentions. His eyes were an inhuman color, and they stayed fixated on my throat.

This was how I was going to die.

Without getting to say goodbye, without living my life to the fullest, without making peace with myself and the man that hurt me.

Suddenly, a scream split the clearing, an inhuman noise that seemed to capture the attention of the vampire.
A mountain lion slowly walked towards me, the weaved so it stood between me and the vampire.

He smiled,
"A challenger? I don't even fear the dogs let alone a little kitty"

The lion's hackles rose, and it snarled at the monster.

Leaping at a speed almost unable to be seen, it pounced on him. The two wrestled for a while, until massive wolves entered the clearing.

The lion slinked back towards the shadows, unseen to the wolves who were too focused on the vampire.

It picked its way towards me, and I looked into its brown eyes.

Bright brown eyes.