Smile

••

••

A MAN ON a shabby formal suit and with a slumped shoulders crossed the pedestrian lane as the traffic light hit the green one. An endless sigh had released from his lungs while he walked across, thinking of what kind of fate was waiting for him tomorrow—or for the next days of their lives.

Quick series of raindrops gracefully landed throughout his figure but he was too exhausted to complain; there were things that needed to worry about than to being soaked in wet. When he entered the narrow and dark alley just downtown, the man groped inside his pocket only to notice that he had only few drenched money for the night until the dawn. Thanks to the old lady he offered to take care of her landscape, he and his wife had bucks to spend of.

The sound of the wailing sirens reverberated against the walls as he treaded further; screams from the other sides invaded his ears but he shook his head to at least ignore it.

He was somehow used to it; it was the City of Madness anyway; where crimes seemed to be acceptable.

The man continued walking until he tripped into a stone that caused him almost losing his balance. But instead of hitting his face on the ground, a thing that looked ripped open filled his eardrums. Looking down, a frown had plastered on his distressed face when he saw the sole of his shoe got repelled.

"Oh man!" he groaned when he scratched the back of his head. "I still need you for the next two years."

Heaving a deep breath, he managed to proceed again despite of having trouble until he could reach their rental apartment. He would just gonna repair it just like what he used to do whenever his stuffs were destroyed or broken; he had no fortune to buy new one, though.

One more turn, he would be home.

But then, the man got stopped when three strangers appeared from nowhere, seemingly blocking his way.

His chest throbbed, gulping as he noticed those with a tattered clothes. They were probably his neighborhood or goons who had miserable lives that's why they had chosen to bother anyone else or to sneak around, chasing for a waffle burger.

"An answer to our growling tummies," said the man who had this scar across his cheek that it seemed like whenever he smiled, it would be suddenly torn off.

The man stepped backwards with his jelly-like legs, watching those bastards began walking towards him.

°•°•°•°•°•

THE GREEN HAIRED guy blinked few times after he pulled out a deep breath. The cracking sensation against his head made him wanna slam it on the wall so that it would be so much easier for him— less suffering.