Smile

••

••

THE COLD BREEZE of winter lingered against the skin of their faces after the family had exited the cinema. Their boots barely sank into the bed of snow when they started walking out of the place.

"Do you want stew when we arrive home, Bruce?" Martha asked, holding his wrist with a gentle touch.

The father clung his arm around the child's shoulders, replying to his wife instead, "It's too good to have one especially this winter."

"You can ask Alfred to make you stew, darling."

"Ugh, my wife's been little mean."

Soft giggles invaded Bruce's ears as he watched his parents.
Apparently, it was the third time sharing his moments on that year, and lucky of him, it was set on Christmas Eve— considering, his mother and father were on a business meeting beyond the sea oftentimes.

The family only had few, short time to spend together since his parents were so busy but it didn't matter to him. What was the most important thing, they still cared as they poured their love he ever demanded.

Bruce couldn't ask for more, not until they'd pulled to a halt when a man who seemed untrustworthy with his ragged outlook came out from a narrow alley and stood in front of them.

The father pressed his lips as he stepped on before his family—Martha on the other hand tugged her son into her in a protective way; her chest throbbed.

"Let's get this easy," said the stranger who soon grabbed his weapon behind.

Thomas forwarded his palm. "Put the gun down, bud, we will cooperate."

"T-Thomas. . ." A whisper from a trembling woman; her chilling breath escaped her mouth.

The husband glanced over his shoulder then to the man whose gun was already aimed at them.

". . .what do you want?"

"Money."

Eyes travelled at every inch of his figure; he was a mobster, no doubt. Then, Thomas groped for his pocket to give what he wanted. If he only knew, they wouldn't walk through the street.

Bruce shook in his mother's embrace as he saw his father stretched out his hand to give his wallet. Everything seemed to be fine as Thomas made deals with the stranger; it should be.