Smile

••

••

BATMAN WATCHED  the doctor who grabbed one of his medical tools to check on Barbara's foot. When he gently poked it into the flesh, the woman didn't flinch.

Firmed eyes travelled on her and his heart writhed for her piteous estate.

According to Colleen—when she arrived at her apartment, she spotted her friend laying— almost dead down on the floor— soaking in the puddle of her own blood. But what it had made worst, Barbara wasn't just there but wore nothing.

Considering that horrifying evidence, Colleen thought she was assaulted.

"How is she?" he asked.

With a face covered with worries and sympathy, the doctor replied before leaving, "I'm afraid, she won't be able to walk again. Excuse me."

Clenching his fist, his breathings became heavier. There was one person who could do such cruel things. He was the one.

"We found this," said officer Bullock who informed Batman after Colleen had contacted them.

Batman walked toward him and took the piece of card off his hand.

"It's from him."

Flipping it over, an invitation had revealed.

". . .Commissioner Gordon wasn't there either."

"Let me handle this," Batman replied when crumpled the card. Then he took another glance at Barbara whose face was covered in so much bitterness and pain at the same time.

"Poor one," Bullock added.

Stepping closer to her, Batman placed a hand on her head, and caressed it like it could heal her, whispering, "I swear, he will pay."

When he attempted to turn around, he felt fingers clutched on his wrist, causing him to stop.

"Batman. . ." Trembling voice filled his ears.

"Barbara?"

"Where are you going?"

"Just take your rest, it won't help—"

"My dad. . . he took my dad with them, is he going to kill him?!" Panic invaded her normal tone; eyes were wide in shock and fear as she gawked nowhere like she was bringing every pieces together.

He sighed. "No. . ."

"No. . . no . . . you didn't see his eyes," she replied with her sockets already filling with warm tears. "Those horrid glints in them, I won't forget." Barbara started sobbing when her grip onto him tigthened, shaking as well. "He said he would prove a point. . . and I'm afraid of what he can do to my father!"