Chapter 5

Warmth spread across my face as the sun shined into the room. The great big glass panes were quite annoying at the moment. It felt as if I hadn't slept a blink, and it was morning already. I rubbed my eyes and pulled the blanket off, letting it wrinkly together next to me. Cool air attacked my legs and I pulled the blanket over myself once more. Turning away from the large window, I faced the dresser and to my shock, there was a clock with numbers running from the right to the left. 10:47

"If you're awake, get yourself cleaned and come have breakfast, I've already booked a time with Essem." I heard Tao's voice above me and found a hologram. "Of course the others will be there too."

I got out from under my warm blanket and went to the dresser. Earlier yesterday night, the warlock told me to help myself with his clothing. I opened the drawer and all different types of hats lied neatly together. Fedoras of different colors were stacked on one another, caps of different cloths set side by side and there was a small empty place with a small box imprinted on it. I looked around making sure that Tao's hologram was no where to be found wandering around and pressed the small square.

The grey square sank into the drawer and another drawer was released from the back of the drawer. Watches and rings were brought forth and I quickly closed the drawer. No need for that drawer. I fondled with many other drawers and finally found an outfit suitable for me.

I slipped on the dark tee and some ripped jeans. I took a jacket off of the coat-hanger and walked over to the mirror. I fixed my hair a little and left out for the bathroom. Everything in the house was beautiful and modern. What would get a warlock so much money to spare? Or was all of this made by Tao himself?

When I got to the breakfast area Kris, Lay, and Luhan accompanied Tao. They were deep in discussion and no one noticed my entrance. I faked a cough and quickly looked out the door with an unimpressed expression.

"Essem requested for an earlier visit," Kris said, standing up and facing me.

"We are told to go immediately." Lay added and stood up patting himself as if there was excess dust on his white suit. Luhan did the same thing to his robe and they all headed to the door.

"Go get the book." Tao said, patting my shoulders, "he needs proof that you're the sorcerer and not a fake."

I did as told and headed back for the library. As I walked passed the long, glass-framed hall, Kai appeared out of thin air, "Don't trust a mundane." he said and disappeared. Shortly after when I turned into the library I was greeted by Kyung and asked, "has Kai come by recently?"

I nodded and replied, "yeah, but he just left."

Not surprised, I found Chen havering over the podium for the book. He sat, with his legs crossed, ontop of the adjacent shelf in a deep sleep. I walked up to the book and picked it up from the podium.

"May I take the book?" I asked, poking him in the knee, the only reachable place.

"I go where the book goes, so please, don't bring me to the restroom. Chen said, jumping off the shelf with a light feathery landing. I took the book and walked away with Chen tailing behind me. When we got to the front door I saw a long ,white, smooth, limo waiting for me.

In front, a man in all white, the mages, doreve. Out of all of the different types of people here, mages were the most common. They used spells and potions. Some only used spells and others potions. They would be, what I'd image, a wizard. I sat down on a seat facing sideways and put the book next to me. Chen took my offer ans sat on the book. Being invisible to all of the other people meant there wasn;t a seat kept and saved especially for him. We drove in an awkward silence until asked a question, "What nice weather today right?"

"You couldn't have thought of anything more generic?!" Kris said putting on a pair of sunglasses.

"My bad." Tao whined.

The awkward conversation was stopped by the halt of the limo.

"This is the farthest I Can go to." The mage spoke. he got off of the vehicle and came around to open the door. One by one, we filed out; Tao as the last of us and tipped the driver something wrapped in paper.

"What's that?" I asked as the limo drove away.

"Potion herbs. Only planted by those with warlock magic." Tao said and held out his hand. The center of his palm had a dark green leaf slowly growing outwards. He clenched his fists together and a handful of leaves appeared. He dropped them in a bag and spoke," mages are easily paid for. They'll do with simple potion herbs. Alchemists are always fond of energy foods." Tao said and placed the bag in top of the large book, "for you."

"What about the necromancers?" I asked balancing the bag on the book as we walked towards the gates.

"I don't normally ask for help from those related to death. The only necromancer I deal with is Luhan." I turned away from Tao and faced Luhan and remembered the small amount of life energy he had taken from me. I then just decided that necromancers were creepy, but if a warlock was ever more powerful, I'd keep my distance from Tao.

We arrived at the gates to find three people - a necromancer, alchemist, and mage - each with deep fierce eyes. Lay, Kris, and Luhan stopped walking and waited for Tao.

"We're here to see Essem." He opened his palm to reveal a small stone. On the stone, light pink letters shined. He closed his palm and an invisible wall lifted, creating some static sounds. "My children," Chen said. I faced him and watched as he sprinkled some dust on them, "have some power."

"What was that?" I asked. He turned from the guards and caught up to talk to me, "Each spirit and god release energy to the earth. MOst people recognize the greek gods, but not often are the Exotics, Periwinkle goddesses, Sone goddesses, Elf gods, and the Cassies. All mages are given power to by a spirit. 'My children' are of the electricity clan. They are able to make potions and do spells related to electricity. As for the other spirits, they each have their own powers. All of the spirits have let some of their power out to the world except Kai. He believes giving his power away is too dangerous."

"That's cool. I said turning to face the guard, "Can they see you?"

The mage had an excited facial expression, much different from his cool facade from before.

"When I send my children some power, they are also sent a gift in a pouch. It is often put in their hands. I just gave him a small toy. It holds 600 watts of electricity." Chen said, smiling, "he likes his present. I'm glad."

We were about to enter the large building when Kai and Kyung appeared in front. Soon after,  the rest of the spirits appeared too.

"There is danger inside. Wish and hope, it will serve you well." Kai said and vanished. All of them left small warnings and disappeared.

"I cannot go into mundane territory." Chen said, "keep the book safe. It is immune to any mage, but can be destroyed easily by human hands." Chen vanished into the air and the book felt a hundred times heavier.

"The spirits say they can't go in there and that there are dangers inside." I announced to the rest of them.

They all turned around and nodded. Tao walked up to the doors and waved his hands across the doors. From the starting point to the door changed from the deep grey into a clear glass. Through the glass we could see men dressed in all black suits, holding strange boxes facing each other. Luhan knocked on the door and I whispered to Tao, "What are they holding?"

"Magic Neutralizers. No one can touch the, except mundanes. They will petrify you if you use magic in their radii." He whispered back, "Mundanes in EXO are very rare, they have the power to petrify us by obtaining the boxes so Essem hire them as his guards." I looked through the glass doors and tried to locate all of the men.

"Don't look through, act like it's a real door." Kris said, poking me, "and be careful of the book. The mundanes will want it to become like us. It is said that there is a secret to the ways of EXO in the book."

"Since we are in mundane territory, I believe no spirits are allowed to enlighten them with power." Lay added.

"It is for keeping balance in the world." Luhan ended as the doors opened inwards.