Part 42

"Huh, what?" Chandri's cheek was partly plastered with the chickpea flour she was using to make the fritter batter. Surangi knew that Chandri had been distracted for the better part of the afternoon but she did not question her about it even if her curiosity was aroused. She had never seen Chandri brood over anything and mentioning it meant drawing Vidya's attention. But Surangi could not help but intervene when she saw that Chandri was about to season the batter a second time over. 

"You've already added salt to that batter!" Surangi whispered and Chandri snapped out of her trance-like state. 

"Oh!" Chandri said, replacing the jar of salt on the kitchen shelf.

"Is everything fine with you?" Surangi asked. Just then Vidya returned to the kitchen.

"Surangi, please keep an eye on Gaju. Chandri and I should manage here." Vidya took over as Surangi left the room to be with the feisty little toddler. Madhav had gone out with Shivu. They were supposed to buy some provision for the kitchen and would return in a while.

"Gaju, don't put that in your mouth! It is not a real banana!" Surangi cautioned Gaju when he was about to bite into the lacquered toy. Before he could wail in protest Surangi picked him up and stood by the window, trying to divert his attention with the sights and sounds of the street below. Surangi loved looking after him after him. She had never been this close to a young child before Gaju's birth. She was eagerly looking forward to Sharayu's new baby whose arrival would coincide with the advent of the monsoon. 

A movement on the street excited Gaju and he pointed out to someone walking in their direction. Surangi saw that it was Madhav, accompanied by Shivram. Both the boys had bags of groceries in their arms and Madhav waved out to Gaju who grinned happily. Madhav and Shivram walked in through the open door and Chandri came out of the kitchen to pick up the bags. 

"Chandri, get them some cool water from the earthen pot." Vidya said as she took stock of the purchases. Chandri emerged in a few moments bearing two metal tumblers of water and vanished as soon as she had served them. 

"What is wrong with this girl? She could talk nineteen to the dozen as far as I remember!" Shivram observed casually.

"She is busy making vegetable fritters. Shivram, why don't you stay back and have lunch with us?" Vidya asked.

"Oh no, Gajra will be upset if I don't finish her meal tiffin. Doctor Saheb is going for a meeting at 6.30 pm so I have the evening off. I can take Madhav bhau and the girls to town if they want to go." Shivram was about to step out of the door when Vidya emerged with a plate of some brinjal and potato fritters. She offered these to Shivram.

"These were made by Chandri! Taste them!" Vidya left Shivu no choice.

"They are piping hot! Chandrey, I must say your cooking has improved much. Well, not as good as Gajra's but you will get there someday!" Shivram laughed at his own words. He was finishing the last fritter when he was startled by the sound of a metal container dropping to the floor. Vidya went into the kitchen to investigate.

"Bhau, when the vessels in the kitchen speak louder than the person handling them there is surely trouble brewing. I will take your leave now, see you around 4 pm!" Shivram told Madhav as he beat a hasty retreat.

The reason behind Chandri's passive aggression became apparent to Surangi and Madhav. Gajra, a young widow of a gunner who died while serving in the British army, ran an affordable mess closeby. Many boys and men from the neighbourhood who lived away from their families while they worked in the city were her customers and Shivram was one among them. The thought of Shivram being captivated by another woman's cooking was impossible for Chandri to bear. But she could not sulk openly without Vidya noticing it.