Chapter 6

The team was more hesitant to let me go on the next mission. I guess they don't want me to have another poorly-timed flashback, which is reasonable, but I insisted enough that they let me.

Fortunately, I didn't have an issue with flashbacks. However, I did learn that, while I may be fine with a staff, I'm virtually useless with my fists. That was the part of the mission where I got my ass kicked.

That brings me here, in the training room, attempting to fight off the gladiator without a weapon. Keyword: attempting.

The gladiator runs at me, throwing a punch that I dodge. For a little while, the fight is just a blur of repetitive dodging until the gladiator picks up on my so-called 'strategy'. It throws a punch at me and when I dodge, it changes course and hits me square in the chest, sending my flying back with the wind knocked out of me.

"End training sequence," I manage through a cough and heavy breathing. The gladiator fades with a blue light. I drop my head back onto the ground and close my eyes as I try to catch my breath.

I hear footsteps approaching me, but I ignore them until they stop right at my feet. I open my eyes to Keith looking at me, partially amused and partially quizzically. "No offense, but that was pretty bad," he offers a hand. I take it and let him help me up.

"I'm aware, thanks..." my tone is almost dry.

"Want help?" he asks. I raise an eyebrow and give him a questioning look. When I don't answer he continues, "Your getting ahead of yourself. You can't fight without a weapon until you actually know how to fight without a weapon." He looks at me analytically for a moment, as if deciding where to start. "Punch me."

"W-what?" I'm taken back a bit by his request. "Why?"

He shakes his head slightly, "Just do. Punch me." I hesitate, but still throw a punch at his cheek. With lightning reflexes, he catches my fist. "Your stance is all wrong..." he analyzes. "You need to- Here, let me..." he trails off as he positions my arms correctly, followed by my feet and shoulders. When his hands go to my hips and twist them slightly, my cheeks suddenly heat up, thankfully blending into with my already-red face from fighting the gladiator.

He takes a step back and covers part of his face with his hand, thoughtfully. He meets my eyes again and something strikes in my stomach. He starts talking again, so I push that feeling to the back of my mind, and try to understand as much of what he instructs as possible.

"How'd you learn how to fight?" I ask Keith, after downing half of a water bottle.

"Shiro taught me almost everything I know..." he answers.

Over the time I'd spent with the team, as a whole, I had picked up on the way Keith addressed and talked about Shiro. "You and Shiro a close, aren't you...?"

He must not have expected the question, because he pauses for a second. He nods and softly confirms, "He's like a brother to me... When I was at the Garrison, I didn't really have anyone but him..." 

I notice him tense up a bit, so I decide not to continue on his past. "It's-" I stop myself then shake my head, "No... Nevermind..."

He gives me a curious look, "What is it?"

I bite my lip trying to decide if I should say what I'm thinking, but Keith's look pushes me to look down, chuckle softly, and shake my head, "It's gonna sound a bit crazy... but... I feel like I knew Shiro... I mean, I didn't, but... I dunno, maybe he just has that effect on people, or maybe it's because he was so welcoming and trusting when I first met him, but..." I realize it sounds weirder than I initially thought, "Sorry, it's stupid..."

"That doesn't sound crazy or stupid," Keith assures, making me look up at him, locking eyes, and searching for some kind of sign that he's just saying that and I do in fact sound crazy. Then that feeling resurfaces, but this time spreads a warm sensation through my chest as well.

"There you guys are!" Pidge's voice draws my attention to the doorway, where she stands. "Dinner's ready."

We get up and I head for the door, but when Keith doesn't come with, I turn to him, "You coming?"

"In a minute," he nods and I wait a moment before leaving.

I meet Pidge in the hall and she gives me a look. "What...?" I ask suspiciously.

"I think you know very well 'what'..." she crosses her arms.

"No, I don't. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking," I cross my arms.

She sighs, "Oh, nothing, then..." she continues towards the dining hall. I hardly hear her mutter, "I told him it'd happen eventually..."

Word Count: 804

Once again, it's on the shorter side, but I think I've reached capacity on what I can put in this one. What do you think? Am I moving too fast? Too slow? Too cliche? Let me know.

Thanks for reading!