Chapter One

Kagami

"My name's Kagami Taiga, and I came back from America just recently. Please treat me well, thanks." I bowed my head a little and earned a pat on the back from sensei.

"You can sit next to Kuroko behind there, Kagami-kun." He instructed with a polite smile plastered on his aged face. I nodded, then carefully made my way towards the back. Whispers and murmurs were heard but I tried my best to not let it bother me. They were probably talking about my height anyway.

I wanted to greet the quiet boy who was deeply staring into space. Something about him made me dislike him already. It was probably because of how dull he was.

"Nice to meet you, Kagami-kun," A rather friendly girl greeted me, and I can't help but gave her my best fake smile. "My name's Mayuka."

"Oh, right," I cleared my throat. "Nice meeting you, Mayuka-san."

She giggled a little before speaking again. "Do people ever tell you you're very tall? Do you like, play sports or something? Like basketball?"

"Yes, I do." I answered simply.

Mayuka-san continued to babble about a topic that I was clearly not interested in. Like the boy next to me, I was about to enter my own world until something caught my eyes.

The keychain on his bag. It looks familiar.

I frowned. No, it must be a coincidence. Anyone can have that keychain, right?

I planned to talk to that Kuroko guy when the bell rings, but when it did, I was instantly surrounded by the other students, bombarding me with questions that I was forced to answer.

"Wait, wait!" I interrupted. "I'm kinda busy right now. There's something I need to —"

That's when I realised Kuroko had disappeared. But how could that be? Wasn't he beside me the whole time?

I stood up, making the annoying students shriek in shock. I quickly apologise before running out of the class, searching for Kuroko. Unfortunately, though, I couldn't find him, and being a transferred student, I didn't know my way around the school yet.

I cursed under my breath, then tried walking back to the direction of my previous class. I couldn't really remember where was it, and I ended up in the music room.

"You can't do this to me, don't throw me away just like that." A weeping voice was heard and I couldn't help but to follow the sound. More sobs could be heard, and I was about to change my mind before Kuroko opened the sliding door, his face wet from tears and eyes red from all the crying.

"Kuroko?"

He shot me a glare before walking passed me. Damn, it was only an accident. I didn't peek on him on purpose. Plus, why was he crying in the first place?

I sighed heavily, then quietly followed him from behind and back to class.

Kuroko was silent the whole time, as if what happened before didn't happen at all. I frowned while spinning my pen. Who was the person he was talking to? It sounded like a break up to me.

I decided to write a small note and pass it to him. At first he made no attempt to take the note from me, then he sighed and reluctantly took it from my hand.