Chapter Eight

Kuroko

The senpais were getting more and more stressed out lately because the Interhigh tournament was just around the corner. Our female coach, Aida Riko, was busy figuring out plans and strategies for us players. Sure, I felt nervous, yet at the same time, blank.

I didn't want to be a part of this, ever since I left the Generation of Miracles.

I quietly glanced at Kagami, who was doing dunks over and over again. Mitobe Senpai and Koganei Senpai were standing near him, giving him motivation from time to time. I smiled, remembering our promise. If I had to make Kagami the best player here, I have to get myself motivated too.

"Kuroko!" A familiar voice called out, and I turned my head before Kagami could catch me staring at him.

Hyuga Senpai gently slapped my shoulder, and I winced a little.

"Don't just stand there. Do something useful!"

"Y-Yes." I stuttered, then jogged along with him towards the other amateur players.

The training ended faster than I realised, and the next thing I knew, I was already walking home, with both Kise and Kagami glaring at each other. I sighed in frustration.

"Stop it, you two. It's getting on my nerves."

"I can't believe you asked him to come with us, Kuroko," Kagami sulked, eyes still remaining on Kise. "I mean, we were supposed to grab dinner together!"

"I haven't seen Kurokocchi for a long time!" The blond boy argued, throwing his hands in the air in frustration. "It's my turn to spend time with him."

I continued to ignore them while my feet brought me to the usual diner where Kagami and I would hang out. I was silently hoping that my lack of existence would work on them, but it was failing, and the two were arguing even louder now. I shook my head and decided to enter the diner without saying anything to them.

I ordered the usual — Vanilla milkshake, and headed towards the same seat by the glass window. Kagami and Kise seemed to cool down a little, only because the red-headed was busy ordering hundreds of burgers and a coke. Kise sulked next to him, but eventually ordered a burger and a coke too.

"Would it kill for you two to get along?" I rolled my eyes, asking them once they sat down.

"Yes." They answered in unison, though Kagami added a Tch at the end.

I forced myself not to smile in amusement, but seeing how immature those two were cracked me up a little. Kise stared at me with confused eyes, and my smile grew bigger.

"It's nothing," I mused. "You guys are so immature, fighting over me like that. But thanks though, I feel special."

"That's because you are!" Kise praised. "And you don't deserve to be with this moody-looking guy, Kurokocchi. It brings bad luck."

I rolled my eyes again.

"I never got the chance to ask you," Kagami spoke up, but his voice was a lot calmer now. "Where are you from?"

"You mean, which high school?"

He nodded.

Kise smiled at me. "Kaijo High, and yeah, you probably wanna know the reason why I transferred to Seirin. I didn't, though. I'm only here because of some student exchange programme."

Both Kagami and I widened our eyes.

"That programme actually exists?" The boy next to me said in awe. Kise nodded his head.

"I'll only be here for a month or so. So yeah, you can start celebrating now. There'll be no one to steal your Kurokocchi." He stated sarcastically, playfully rolling his eyes in the end.

"A student exchange programme," I thought. "If you're here, then who's there?"

"Kiyoshi Teppei," He answered simply. "Also one of the reasons why Hyuga's so stressed out these days."

I oh'ed.

"Wasn't he injured?" Kagami glanced at me, then back at Kise. "I heard from coach. Kiyoshi got terribly injured during last year's tournament, didn't he?"

"Apparently he's alright now, but I'm sure his leg is still in the healing process. Riko didn't want him to go in the first place. But you know how Kiyoshi is."

"No, unfortunately, we don't. We haven't got the chance to meet him in person." I answered him after taking one last sip from the cup.

Kise chuckled. "Well, he's a great guy, I bet. A little crazy sometimes."

The three of us were slowly getting along now, especially Kise and Kagami. Both exchanged questions and answers, mostly about basketball, and I thanked God for stopping their useless argument over me.

We were about to head back home for the night, until I saw someone I swore to never see again.

"Shit." Kise cursed, and instantly covering me with his back. Kagami gazed at us in confusion.

"Kise." His voice stung my chest, and I looked at my feet, hoping he wouldn't call out to me. Kagami seemed to understand the situation now, so he, too, covered me with his jacket.

"What are you doing here?" Kise asked, and for the first time today, his voice sounded more rough and stern, as if he was sending some kind of warning to Aomine.

"Nothing," He replied simply. "I was about to get something to eat, but I lost my appetite."

"Go home, Aominecchi," The blond boy sighed in defeat. "Please, I'll see you later."

Aomine was silent for a few moment, then he scoffed and turned around. "Later."

It took almost all my energy not to scream at him. So I stood there, hands gripping tightly against Kagami's jacket as angry tears dripped down my cheeks.