Chapter Ten

Kuroko

I stared at the perfectly sealed envelope on my study table, silently debating with myself whether or not to open it. I received it a long time ago, yet never got the chance to open it. No, let me rephrase that. I didn't want to read it, and you should know why by now.

To: Tetsu

The words were written neatly and carefully at the middle part of the envelope, and I sometimes wondered how long he took to write it. Aomine never had nice handwritings.

I wondered how he felt writing this to me. The thought of him being emotional saddened me, yet I felt as if he deserved it. I sighed, realising how mean I was.

I gently lifted the envelope up and frowned a little when I noticed the corner got folded up slightly. Trying my best to ignore the folded part, I carefully tore the edge and took the content out.

My heartbeat gradually increased before I opened the folded letter. I wasn't ready to read it yet, but I knew I wouldn't ever be ready. It was now or never.

Dear Tetsu,

I swallowed the lump in my throat and placed the letter back to the study table. I couldn't do it.

The sudden ringing of my phone surprised me and I gasped. Once I calmed down a little, I took the device from the edge of my bed and answered the call without seeing who it was.

"Hello?" I croaked.

"Kuroko?" It was Kagami. I smiled.

"Yeah, I'm here."

"I'm sorry for calling so late at night, but I'm worried. Are you okay?"

"I am, kinda. I think."

"Do you... Do you wanna talk about it? Just to clear your mind a little?"

"I don't know, Kagami-kun," I whimpered. "I don't know what to feel anymore," I weakly laughed, then. "I sound so depressed, don't I?"

"Well, you're hurt, so it doesn't really matter whether or not you sound like an emotional wreck. But one thing's for sure, Kuroko."

"And what is that?"

"It's all temporary. It'll be okay soon, trust me."

I really wanted to believe what he said was true, but months have passed and I was still feeling the same way. It was quite tiring, feeling all useless and broken at the same time. I was really, really tired.

"Cry all you want, I'll be here."

"Kagami-kun..."

"It hurts more if you hold it in. I know how that feels."

And so I cried. I cried more than I ever did before. My chest squeezed tightly and suddenly I had trouble breathing. It hurts. It hurts too much.

Kagami remained silent the whole time, and I could only hear his soft breathing through the phone. I felt bad for him, and it must've been weird hearing another boy breaking down.

By the time I finished crying, I was weak. My eyes were swollen now and probably red. I swallowed the lump in my throat, then said, "I'm sorry for being like this, Kagami-kun. I swear I'm not usually this emotional."

He chuckled. "It's fine, I'm just glad I could help. You should get some sleep, it's late."

I nodded, even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"Training's gonna be tougher tomorrow, so get some rest, okay? I'll see you soon."

"Okay," I smiled. "See you, good night."

"Good night, Kuroko."

After hanging up the call, I glanced at the unopened letter and sighed. I knew I wasn't ready to read whatever's inside that letter yet, so I kept it back into the envelope, and into the drawer. I promised to read it one day, when thing's are finally alright.

While I laid in bed, I stared into the ceiling with questions running in my head, and before I knew it, I fell into deep sleep, with Kagami in my mind.