Chapter Twelve

Kuroko

"Right, so the preliminaries is just two days from now. I want all of you to train well, alright? We can't afford to lose again this year." Coach announced, and all of us nodded in approval.

My mind was racing. Since the incident with Kagami, I was doing badly in my passing and catching. The others were worried about me, and I was worried about myself too. I caught Kagami giving me looks of encouragement from time to time, but whenever I looked at him I remembered what happened between us.

I felt heat rose to my cheeks and I awkwardly coughed, catching everyone's attention. Coach made her way towards me and placed both her hands on my shoulders.

"Kuroko, will you be okay?" She asked.

I nodded hesitantly.

"Excuse us, coach, I need to borrow him for a moment." Kagami appeared right next to me, and I froze. Coach gave us a suspicious look, but nodded her head anyway.

Once Kagami and I were alone outside in the dark, he pulled me into a hug and sighed heavily. I finally relaxed a little, and carefully wrapped my arms around his body. I loved our height difference. I felt protected by him.

"Are you okay?" He asked after pulling away from him, his arms remaining on my shoulders. I nodded my head, then shook it.

"I don't know, I'm distracted I guess." I answered honestly. I knew lying would take me nowhere, and after all, it was Kagami. I don't want to lie to him.

He gently placed a kiss on my forehead and I could feel myself blushing a little. It was rare to see him gentle like this. Kagami was always rough and loud during our trainings and normal hang outs.

"It's my fault, I'm sorry," He apologised suddenly. "But you need to focus, Kuroko. We have to —"

"Win. I know, Kagami-kun," I smiled and kissed his cheek. "I'll be fine, I promise."

He looked unsure for a moment, and I raised my eyebrows. He sighed, then nodded his head. "Alright."

When we returned to the court, everyone else was already training. Coach was nowhere to be seen, and Hyuga-senpai was busy shouting orders and words of encouragement. I smiled at the sight. Seeing everyone doing their best motivated me.

"Now let's get started, shall we?" Kagami grinned at me, and his usual aura was back. He was pumped up too.

"Let's go." I nodded my head, and we both joined the team.

• • •

"Look, I'm glad you're all in good terms already, but could you please spare me the cringe?" Kise groaned in annoyance as he walked in between Kagami and I. "I'm not gone yet, you know!"

Kagami chuckled, and I smiled at Kise's embarrassed reaction.

"Well, how was training? The game's in two days, right?" He decided to change the subject, turning the light situation into a serious one.

The red-head next to me sighed heavily. "Yeah, training's tougher these days, and Coach's been really strict."

"Too bad I can't join the team," Kise yawned, stretching his arms up in the air. "I'm only staying in Seirin for a while after all. Plus, Kasamatsu-senpai would kill me if I did join you guys. I can't betray my team like that."

"It's okay, Kise-kun," I spoke. "We'll play together one day, as opponents."

The blond nodded his head in approval. Playing with Kise again was a dream, but it saddened me a little knowing he won't be my teammate anymore. We're not the Generation of Miracles anymore either."

"Kurokocchi, look!" His shocked voice brought me back to reality and I blinked my eyes a few times before looking at a box Kise was pointing at. "It's a dog!"

I felt someone hid behind me, and I glanced up in curiosity.

"Kagami-kun?"

He blushed. "S-Sorry, it's just... I don't like dogs."

"Kurokocchi, come here quick!"

"Well, I'll be back." I smiled innocently at the scared boy and jogged my way towards Kise and the box.

Inside was a small-sized dog, coated with black and white fur. It barked when he saw us, and my eyes widened a little when I saw its eyes.

"Hey, it has your eyes!" Kise noticed it too, and he kept glancing at me and the dog. "Why don't you take it home with you?"

"You can't!" Kagami shouted from afar, making me laugh a little in amusement.

"Sure, I guess. I could use a little company." I said while ruffling the dog's fur. It barked again, causing Kise and I too chuckle.

"What should we name it, though?" I questioned before carrying the dog in my arms. It was surprisingly light, judging from its small body.

Kagami slowly approached us, but stopping once a while when I tried to approach him.

"How about Tetsuya #2?" He sighed. "Kise's right, he looks like you."

"It's a he?" Kise cracked a smile, and earned a glare from Kagami.

"Tetsuya #2 it is, then," I beamed. "I can't wait to show him to the others tomorrow."

"Wait, you're bringing him to training?" Kagami shrieked. "You can't, please!"

I laughed, seeing how priceless his reaction was when I started chasing him with Tetsuya #2 in my arms. It barked happily, scaring Kagami even more.

I loved this. I missed being happy like this, and it's all thanks to Kagami.

"Kurokocchi, Kagamicchi! Wait for me!" Kise shouted, joining me on the run.