Chapter Fourteen

Kuroko

The court was filled with murmurs and confused talks when I was heading back. When I entered, Kagami called out to me, and my eyes widened at the unexpected visitor.

"Momoi-san?"

She turned and smiled weakly at me, and from the look on her face I knew she was crying earlier. I raised my eyebrows in confusion as I walked towards her, and my other teammates slowly left us alone. Kagami stayed, though.

"What are you doing here? What's wrong?" I questioned, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. A tear fell from her right eye as she bowed down her head.

"I don't know why I came here," She weakly chuckled. "I thought maybe I could find the answer if I see you before the game tomorrow, but I guess you don't have it either, do you?"

"I don't get you, Momoi-san."

When her eyes finally met mine, I understood what she meant. I've seen those eyes before.

"Well, good luck for the game tomorrow, all of you." She said, slowly looking at the others. Coach flashed me a look, and I shrugged my shoulders lightly before turning to Momoi again.

"I'll walk you home."

"Okay." She whispered softly before leaving the court. Kagami nodded his head before ruffling my hair, and I jogged out of the building, following Momoi.

"I know I shouldn't be talking about this, since you got a game tomorrow, but it's bothering me," She finally said truthfully. "Dai-cha — Aomine-kun isn't doing well these days, so I was wondering whether you're okay?"

I kicked a pebble and it flew across the street. The sky was getting darker, red and yellow rays shone from afar.

"I'm... doing well. I've got Kagami-kun, and the team. Kise-kun too."

"Mmm, that's great, isn't it?" I nodded.

Momoi breathed as the wind blew passed us, cold yet warm at the same time. Her pink hair fluttered slightly, and I realised she'd grown taller.

"How's Aomine-kun?" I swallowed the lump in my throat before asking. My chest hurt, but I was able to endure it this time. The girl next to me sighed, shrugging her shoulders. "He's changed, that's for sure. He's not the same Aomine-kun we used to know during middle school."

"He's... not fine," She continued. "He's been skipping practices, and all he does is sleep on the school rooftop. It's hard for me to get him to train, and whenever I brought you up he would shut me out. It hurts sometimes, seeing how broken he is and how badly he's become, but I strongly believe he'll come back soon. I know so!"

I smiled sadly. "I see."

Talking and walking home with Momoi brought back memories. It made me sad, yet happy at the same time. We walked pass the usual store we used to stop at for ice cream, and I remembered hanging out with the Generation of Miracles for the first time. It was like home. It felt like home whenever I was around them.

Meeting Akashi and the others gave me a trembling feeling, yet I was excited to meet them again. It'll all be different this time. After all, we won't be teammates anymore the next time we meet in a game, and I was hoping to meet any of them tomorrow.

"I missed this, Tetsu-kun," Momoi stated, a nostalgic tune in her voice. "Thanks for walking me home. I'll see you tomorrow."

"We can walk back home together again, if you want?" I suggested, though I strongly knew what her answer would be.

Momoi nodded her head. "Sure, maybe next time, when we're all together again."

"Sure, Momoi-san."

Though my smile faded when she closed the door.