| 24 |

Was there really a choice when emotions were involved, or was that just something people who expect you to have good morals would say? A trick that would lead you into believing that you could've done better if only you made a much more socially acceptable choice. But when the heart and the mind are at war, was there really a good choice?

That had been the thought that had been plaguing my mind since the second I chose to sit-down at one of corner tables of Bean Bags and wait for you. I kept on wondering, why was I willing to hear you out, and let myself fall into this mess even if I knew I would be making a mistake. Maybe Imogen was right-I was beginning to lose sight of my morals. How would I know that you were saying the truth; that I wasn't the other woman and Miranda wasn't being lied to as well? And although, I was beginning to believe her, I didn't dare move an inch. I stayed put, legs pressed together and arms hugging myself. I remained staring at the glass door of the shop, breath suspended and lips pursed. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting... until you came strolling in.

It was windy outside, and your raven black hair was tousled by wind. Clad in a white button down shirt and dark jeans, you look ever immaculate as ice cream under the scorching sun. Temptation at its finest. Instantly, I knew why I couldn't resist.

You, Sean, were an alluring creature-all in its blue-eyed glory, and I couldn't help but indulge. A sip, a dip, a taste, a nimble. It didn't matter as long as I had the chance.

"Sean," I said your name, sounding a little breathless when you finally reached me. The familiar smell of your cologne hit my senses, instantly I forgot the reason why I was questioning my sanity.

You smiled as you took the seat across mine. I smiled back. I never saw you this relieved before, and knowing that my presence was the reason behind that smile was enough to make me jump the fall.

A sip, a dip, a taste, a nimble.

"I'm glad you texted me. I honestly thought you wouldn't want to hear from me after yesterday." I looked away when your eyes fell to your clasped hands over the table. I was the one who wanted to talk, yet when you jumped straight into the reason why we're even here in the first place, the eagerness died inside me, replaced by the trepidation of hearing the whole story.

Pursing my lips, I leaned in closer to you and brought our hands together. My fingers looped right through the spaces of yours and you were startled by the action. I was too. Yesterday, while I was crying my heart out, I had no plans of even sharing the same air as you. And now, here I was, holding onto you as if you were my anchor. "I want to know the truth, Sean. I wanna know what's going on-why you keep on disappearing on me."

The sigh that came out of your pierced mouth was laced with frustration. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know you think that I'm such an asshole, stringing you along and taking advantage of your moments of vulnerability, but trust me. I do like you, Serenity. Things are just really complicated right now."

My brown eyes found your bluish-gray ones, a pair that held sincerity and frustration. They mirrored my own. Right there and then, as both our hands clasp tighter against each other, I knew that I'd give up anything just to make everything okay. "Tell me what's going on-Sean, I like you too much to walk away. It's been so long since something this good happened to me. I won't just leave. I can't."

A sip, a dip, a taste, a nimble.

You remained silent. The tightening of your hands around mine, and the resignation on your face the only response you could give. There were no words said, but I wasn't that innocent to know that this was the beginning of our parting. I would be left alone again, disregarded in favor of another woman. And I couldn't let that happen.