e p i l o g u e | pt 2

I must be hallucinating. There was no way the person on the other line was Cassidy, but that was exactly what she told me.

My fingers were numb and cold when I heard her voice again. It was uneven and thick with emotions that I used to be familiar with, but rather not remember. "Serenity? Hello?"

I shut my eyes closed, pressing my lids heavy over my irises in an attempt to make sense of all of this. This shouldn't be happening. I worked so hard to get to where I was right now, I didn't need people from the past to pull me back. "What do you want?"

I heard her take a deep breath. I could almost imagine her standing in Gary's house that night with her blonde hair twisted on top on her head, face bare of makeup and eyes misty. I shook my head to get rid of the image. 

She was silent for a moment long enough for me to think about hanging up, but she spoke again before I had the chance to end the call. "Can we meet up? I've got something important to show you."

"What makes you think I want to speak with you after what you did?"

"Serenity, please. I just wanted to make you understand where Sean was coming from that's why I wanted to speak with you. I didn't mean for you to fight."

"You meddled with my relationship the moment you thought that your opinion mattered to me. Newsflash—it doesn't and it'll never do. Especially right now when I don't give a damn about your or him."

"You gotta understand. I won't be doing this if—"

"I'm not interested."

"—isn't for him. He needs this."

That shut me up. Damn it, Sean. It has already been a year, I was over you, yet how could your name still evoke a thousand emotions of woven sadness and pain and hurt and agony and melancholy and... affection? It angered me to have realized that I could still care for someone who didn't just break me into the smallest of pieces, but also made it almost impossible for me to be whole.

"Okay," I said, gulping down the memories. "Text me the location."

-

"You think I'm doing the right thing?"

Eun-ji smiled, leaning back into the driver's seat with a sigh. "You know, some things don't feel right at the beginning, but if it feels right after, then that's what counts."

There was still doubt lingering in my head, a million questions about the outcome of this decision, but her words brought me comfort. "Yeah?"

She rolled her eyes and I chuckled. "Oh, shut up. Stop questioning my knowledge."

"Thank you," I said, clearing my throat, "for doing this and for helping me get through all of that fiasco. I wouldn't have done it without you guys."

She waved her hand dismissively with a click of her tonguelike she always did. It didn't surprise me. Eun-ji had always been the giver, the most selfless one of the group with a thick list of people she helped. Yet no matter how much personal time and effort it took away from her, she never once took credit for all the good things she did. If I had a quarter of her heart, I would've been a better person. But I had been too selfish for awhile too, too selfish that I ended up hurting myself to satisfy my delusional whims.

"Yeah, yeah whatever, now get out of my car."

"Cruel," I teased as I pushed open the door. "Don't forget to call me once you've dropped Imogen." She scoffed. I grinned, stepping out of the vehicle.

"Hey!" Eun-ji grabbed onto the handle of the passenger door, stopping me with her intense brown eyes that were filled of all the words that were too many for us to share in a short moment. Stay safe. You got this.