Chapter 1

"BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!"

"Ugh," I groaned.

This annoying alarm clock is more like a nuclear warning system than a wake up call.

But it gets the job done, I guess.

Anything's better than living back home, especially now that I'm with my friend.

In South Korea.

In Seoul.

I groggily get up from my part of the bunk bed, the lower mattress, and head to the bathroom to get ready for work.

If you could even call it work, that is.

Grabbing my toothbrush and toothpaste, I stare at my own reflection in the mirror.

Wow, I look like hammered poop.

Bags beneath my eyes, hair looking like a bomb test site, my eyelids drooping.

I ignore it and continue my daily routine.

I step into our small living room and sit on the weathered couch when I hear a yawn behind me.

"Yo, G'morning," Jin croaked.

"Good morning, Are we having cereal for breakfast?" I replied.

Jin's my best friend. A native South Korean, I met him way back in high school. He moved to our hometown since his parents had work there. Now however, he moved back to Korea along with me to have a little adventure and for me to get away from...

Yeah. From that.

Turns out that this isn't much of an adventure as I thought it would be.

My life is an absolute mess right now. I don't know my purpose, I don't know my aspirations. I honestly just want to get by.

And that's what I'm doing so far.

I work odd jobs to keep myself fed. Babysitting, janitorial, the like.

Having stuff to do is nice, but...

It just feels as though there's something missing from my life.

Love, maybe?

Tch, how immature of me.

Life isn't like those K-dramas you'll watch every now and then.

Snapped out of my daydream, I see Jin waving his hand in front of my face, bowl of cereal in hand. "Welcome back to the land of the living, you were zoning out quite a bit there, buddy," he chuckles.

"Thanks for the cereal, I'm glad we got a different brand this time around, I was starting get sick of that last one," I nod.

"Yeah, me too, that one was really bad."

Jin takes his seat on the couch and turns on the TV and puts it on a Korean news channel.

Any Korean would think that I'm absolutely clueless about the language they speak, when that is just absolutely not true. I understand every word they say.

As a hobby I would just try and learn as many languages I could. I hung around with my foreign relatives a lot, and Jin helped me learn Korean too. Not to brag, but I can confidently say I'm fluent in like, 10 languages already.

Yeah, that's quite a number.

Jin and I spend our breakfast in silence, only ever speaking to each other to change the channel or something else that's trivial.

Something's up with him. He's usually the noisiest prick around.

Eh, I'll respect his privacy. He's always done the same to me.