Chapter 2- Everyone has Secrets (part 1)

It is noon by the time Colia finally opens her eyes again, and for a short time, she believes she's back in her bedroom at Wexton Mansion. But then, she processes the stone walls and dark, wooden furniture and remembers falling asleep in her father's bed. Mr. Storm slept in another room. Where? she doesn't know.

She sits up, stretching her limbs, and groans with sleepiness. Too much happened yesterday. Too many unfathomable things. It's a struggle to overcome the urge to bury her head in her pillow again and ignore reality. But she's stubborn and prideful, and that would be weak. Her mother may not be in Stormwood, but Colia won't do anything disappointing. 

Slowly getting to her feet, she frowns, thinking over her fight last night-- the one with her father, not Augustus or her mother's, though Colia doesn't consider her talk with Mrs. Burn a fight. Mrs. Burn is angry with her husband, not Colia. Colia is angry with him, too. He claims her mother has been lying and "hiding Colia's identity as a magician." 

The idea of magic sounds incredible to Colia, but she isn't gullible enough to believe it's real. Mr. Storm used to read books to her when he visited after the divorce. They read fairy tales and stories of magic and wonder, her favorite type of story. However, none of it is real, and her father must be insane to think he can convince her otherwise.

Colia trudges to the door with heavy, lumbering footsteps. The wood planks of the floor creak beneath her feet. Her stomach rumbles and aches, and she realizes she hadn't eaten dinner the night before. If only she knew her way around Stormwood. She looks into the hall before stepping out of the room. One way or another, she'd find food.

Meandering through the maze of Stormwood, Colia receives strange looks from many students passing by. She doesn't know why. They aren't dressed in uniforms of any sorts, and there doesn't seem to be any other visual difference. 

After circling around the academy without luck, a girl approaches her. "Do you need any help?" she asks, and Colia is tempted to hug her.

"Yes, actually. I'm having trouble finding the cafeteria," Colia explains, and the girl nods, her raven black curls bouncing. The girl's black hair is a stark difference from her pale skin, and the black eyeliner surround her eyes makes their gray color pop. This combined with her black leather jacket and jeans give her an edgy look but not unfriendly.

"Lucky for you, I'm heading there as well," she smiles and leads Colia. "I'm Emi Bellandi, soon-to-be freshmen, but I came here in the came beginning of summer." Emi holds out her hand, and Colia shakes it.

"Emi? From Wexton? I'm-"

"I know who you are, Colia," Emi cuts in. "Word travels fast, and I can't forget the face of the mayor's daughter. You look a lot like your mom." 

"Many tell me that, but I don't see it," Colia shrugs, laughing. The two girls sit down and Colia says, "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"I assume you're going to anyway."

"Do you remember how you arrived here?" As she'd roamed the halls this morning, Colia couldn't help but worry about her memory loss. Maybe, she'd thought, I'll remember over time. But the idea didn't and still doesn't seem likely to her.

"Yeah, I believe so." Emi glances at Colia oddly. "My mom gave me directions here through the woods, and I left at midnight. Why? Do you not remember?"

"No, I found myself in the middle of the woods, without a clue of where I was. I followed a rabbit like in the dreams and... well, here I am."

"The dreams? What dreams?" Emi's face is full of perplexion,  but Colia is just as perplexed.

"You know, the dreams about the woods, about Stormwood. I started having them weeks ago. And your mom gave you directions? How did she know the way?"

"She attended Stormwood, too. She was in the same class as your mother."

"I am so confused," Colia mutters. There are too many questions and not enough answers. Maybe, Colia's father had been telling the truth about her mother keeping secrets, which leads Colia to wonder how much he was right about.

"You should talk to your father," Emi suggests as if reading her mind. " I have no doubt he knows."

"You're right," Colia agrees. "Oh, and thank you for helping me. It's nice seeing a familiar face from home."

"I think so too." They grin at each other in appreciation, but Colia's stomach rumbling ruins the moment. Emi laughs. "We should probably eat."

"That's probably a good idea." Colia joins in, chuckling as well. She'd speak to her father later, but for now, she'd enjoy time with a new friend. She'd save the stress for later.