Chapter 4- Eastern River Bridge (part 2)

Soon, freshly cut grass turns into compact dirt and the winding roots of great pine. A novally arrow on the ground ahead guides them points to the direction they follow.

Being in the woods again reminds Colia of the promise she made, the promise she broke. It was before summer ended, back when she still stayed overnight at Namrata Finn's house often and they were still friends. It was the night that ended all of that, the night of the fight. Everyone seems to be fighting lately.

Colia took a risk telling her the secret-- and she knew how Namrata would react-- but she had a small sliver of hope inside and she needed to tell someone. 

Mrs. Finn, a petite, brunette, Indian woman who had been one of Penelope Burn's closest friends, had welcomed her at the door and directed her upstairs as she always did. As far as the Finns knew, it was just an ordinary night. Colia knew otherwise. 

"Is that Colia I hear?" Namrata asked as she threw open her bedroom door. "It is!"

She was her mom's lookalike, unlike Colia and her mother. Penelope Burn had brown locks, always tied in a tight bun atop her head, whereas Colia was golden blonde.

Colia laughed. "Alas, I have arrived."

"So, what's going on? Your text sounded urgent. Got me worried for a bit, but you seem to be in one piece." She led Colia into her room where they sat on the bed. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes," Colia answered, then changed her mind. "Well, no... actually, I don't really know."

"Okay," Namrata said slowly, "so what's wrong?"

"I wasn't sure if I should tell you. I've been contemplating it for a while now. But if I tell you, you need to keep it a secret."

"Of course, you can tell me anything," Namrata insisted.

"You're going to think I'm crazy, Nam. Maybe, I am crazy."

"Well, I can assure you that you definitely are crazy," Namrata joked with a chuckle, "but don't worry. Just tell me."

Colia went on to tell Namrata about her dreams. They'd only started a week before, but the forest and the rabbit and the castle kept visiting Colia's head when she closed her eyes, and their appearance would only increase. "I feel like the woods are calling me, Nam, like I'm supposed to be there. What else could the dreams mean?"

"Maybe, you're just frightened. It hasn't been long since that other girl disappeared. What was her name? The Bellandi girl?" Namrata suggested, looking concerned.

"You mean Emi?"

"Yes, her. I don't know her very well."

"Me neither, but Mrs. Bellandi is one of Mom's friend," Colia explained. "Anyway, I don't think that's it. I mean, this hasn't happened after any of the other disappearances."

"But she's your age, right?" Namrata was a year younger than both Colia and Emi.

"Right, but that's still not it. I don't know. I just feel like the woods are hiding something, something beyond that no one else can see, but I want to see it. I want to see what's beyond the woods."

"No, you know you can't go in the woods. It's too dangerous to even consider. Maybe, you should tell your mom-"

"No one else can know. They'd try to stop me."

"Stop you from what?" Namrata asked, but then the realization hit her. "Wait, you're not serious. You're not actually going to-"

"I am. I know you don't understand, and I don't expect you to, but I just needed to tell you before I leave."

"When?"

"Soon, maybe tonight."

"Colia, don't be stupid. You could die for all we know. Nobody returns from the woods. No one. Please, don't do this." Namrata stood up with panic.

"I need to. I'm meant to. This is what I'm supposed to do," Colia urged. "You don't understand. Nobody does. No one ever will, but you need to trust me."

"You need to tell your mom."

"No, she can't know."

"Well, If you don't tell her, I will," Namrata threatened.

Colia stood up to match her gaze. "You promised you wouldn't."

"I think saving your life is a valid reason to break a promise."

"Don't," Colia begged. "Not if our friendships mean anything to you."

Namrata huffed and didn't respond right away, thinking. "Fine, I won't tell your mom if you promise me something."

"What?"

"Promise me you won't go into the woods, and your secret will be safe with me."

Colia clenched her fists in anger but realized she didn't have any other options. If she tried to leave, her mother would catch her. But if she stayed, it would be like she never said a thing. "Deal," she said finally. Then, she turned and stormed out of the house.

"Leaving so soon?" Mrs. Finn questioned with surprise when she saw Colia racing down the stairs.

"Yes, I forgot how much homework I have due tomorrow," Colia replied. She forced a smile for Mrs. Finn's benefit.

"Oh, I'm sure Namrata would love to help you. You girls practically share all the same classes," she laughs. Mrs. Finn is too kind for her own good.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure my mom would rather me finish at home. I haven't been there to help make dinner all week." It was not a lie. 

"Okay, dear, have fun, and tell Penelope I say hello."

"Will do," Colia answered. "Goodbye." She closed the door behind her a little too hard.

For the next few days, Colia held her breath, getting nervous anytime her mom went to speak with her, but Namrata honored her promise. Despite this, their relationship never quite healed. Namrata made attempts to talk, but Colia remained angry and hurt. 

Now, Colia thinks, it's time for her to be angry and hurt. But she doesn't truly mean it. After all, Namrata was only trying to protect her.

Kyler, Emi, and Colia stop suddenly when they spot the Eastern River Bridge, not climbing onto it quite yet. The bridge is ordinary, a stone arch over bustling water, but someone is already there. Standing in the middle of it is Augustus. Maybe, Emi was right.