Prologue

Sea mermaids and river mermaids had been separated by their waters since the dawn of time. Those of the sea needed the salt and those of the river needed fresh, untainted water. Going into waters not their own killed the mermaids. The Sea People sang songs about the rivers and the River People sang songs about the sea. Each longed to taste the other's life, even if just for a moment, but it was impossible. At least it was, before two queens solved the problem with a will to bend the course of the rivers and seas.
     Long ago, the mermaids were all in two large pods, each ruled by a queen. The Sea Queen, Liliuokalani, was secretly fascinated with the calmness and saftey of the freshwater rivers and streams, just as the River Queen, Melusine, was fascinated with the rough waves and open spaces of the sea.
     Lilioukalani and Melusine came together at the place where the freshwater river spilled into the sea. Liliuokalani was fascinated with the coppery, silver-lined beastia and double-tails of Melusine as she had never seen one like it before. Melusine was equally captivated by the smoky, electrically-blue smudged beastia of Liliuokalani. The two were stunning to each other.
     They shifted from beastia to humanaria, looking at each other. Liliuokalani stared at the copper swirls of Melusine's hair, her eyes a bright orange. Her silver-scaled cape fanned out behind her like her tail, doubled and split. Her skin was tanned from sunlight inland. Her silver top was like a wrap brought from the back over her breasts and up behind her neck, and a long silver skirt swirled around her long smooth legs. She was slender, her arms long and her hands those of a musician. Melusine looked at the smoky hair of Liliuokalani fading into a bright blue near the ends. Liliuokalani was smaller, her swirling, vibrant purple eyes full of curiosity. Her smoky cape pushed against her from the currents. She was covered by a strapless blue dress with a sweetheart neckline that was split along the middle just below her breasts and came down to her knees. Her shorter legs were adorned by smoke-grey boots that came to her knees.
     They brought out their harps, carved along the top with their beastia visages, and started playing. Melusine coaxed to the Sapphire River, the greatest in the land, as Liliuokalani coaxed to the Thundering Sea, the biggest in all the world, where her castle was. As the two women played, the river and the sea spiraled closer to each other many miles away. They would never touch, but the sea and the river were now united. Their people could live near what they longed for so badly. They smiled contentedly as they use the last of their life force to ensure that nature would not move what they had made.
     As time passed the mermaids split off into more pods, some coming to the queens' place. They called the place the Yin Yang Streams, after the ancient symbol of good and evil. Not many know the story of the queens now; too many years have passed and they have been forgotten. But songs about the Lost Queens pop up every now and again, influenced by the dreams of the Yin Yang Streams.

-_________________________________________-

Hello readers! This is the prologue of Hopeless Love, a side story based in the world of Shimmer: Journey to Death. If you have not read Shimmer, I would appreciate it if you went to read it after commenting, voting, or just going to some other book cause you didn't like this. Shimmer is a fantasy with a little bit of romance and some action as well. Readers, I have decided upon a name for you all, my fans. You are all my land sharks. Love you all readers an fellow authors and see you back here next Wednesday! 0_0