9-Reunited at Last

As soon as I recognized his face, there was no stopping me; I ran towards him. He started running when I did. He caught me in a hug, his tears falling on my face and in my hair as my tears fell onto his shirt. He was taller than me. I clutched his shirt and held on tightly; I never wanted to let him go again. He hugged me so tight that I almost couldn't breathe but I didn't care; all that mattered was that he was here now.
"Ari," I whispered, "I missed you so much. I thought of you so often those first few years, worried the town would make you hate mermaids too. I couldn't bear if that happened." I looked up into his face, stepping back a bit. "I still have the necklace and the ring Mom gave me to remember you by," I said, showing him the cat half of the necklace and the malachite ring on my finger. He smiled and hugged me one more time before letting go and sitting down.
"I'm...I'm taller than you now. You were so tall when you left Jet. I guess you didn't grow anymore after that huh. I never expected to be taller than you. I never even expected to find you. There are so many places you could have gone. I figured that you were in or around a mermaid pod. You always loved them. But even narrowed to that there are...hundreds, if not thousands, of lakes and rivers and seas..." he trailed off, sniffling.
"How did you find me? I wandered for...well I don't really know how long. I lost track of the time. I only found this place about a week ago...or maybe two...I can't even remember that clearly. How old are you? How old am I," I asked him. He had been three when I left. It had been at least ten years I thought. Maybe more.
"Well. I am fifteen in a few days. So you are seventeen," he said. I froze. Seventeen? I was off two years. It really had been forever. I looked at him. He didn't look fifteen. He looked older. His golden eyes sparkled with worry and were filled with wariness, like he was on the alert for danger. His shaggy blond hair looked wild, like he had just fought someone. He had scars all over his arms, legs, and face. Smaller, lighter ones; bigger, darker ones; large red ones the left side of his face, from just below his eye to his jawline, three of them. The longest was in the middle, and it looked the nastiest. I reached my hand out and touched it; he flinched a little.
"What happened," I asked as tears filled my eyes. He sighed.
"I might as well tell you the whole story. It isn't that long. But...can I tell you tomorrow? A...a lot has happened and I need some time to...prepare and get better before I tell you. I need to calm down. Being calm is what has kept me so safe for all this time," he said. I looked at the three scars forming on his face. It didn't look like he had been safe to me.
I stood up. "Come on," I said, offering him my hand. "You can sleep in my tent tonight. Tell me what happened tomorrow. I can wait, as long as I know you are safe," I told him. He nodded and took my hand. I pulled him up and walked to my tent hand in hand with my little brother.
Twelve years...has it really been that long? I figured only ten. Ari...he looks like he has been to hell and back...he has been through a lot more than me. He got hurt for...me. Looking for me. I have to protect him again, like I did when we were little. I couldn't protect him for twelve years because I was gone. I can keep him safe now though; I have to.

-_________________________________________-

Hey guys! So hope you liked it though I apologize for it being so short. What do you think of Ari so far? I decided their last names are Kefira and Jet Kefira sounded better than Jet Ari so.... Heartfelt reunions...tears...crazy story on the way! See you next week or maybe earlier. Don't forget to go over to Random Stories and give me prompts for the next one. You have two weeks! Love you my land sharks! 0)