22-Marriage Makes Mom Happy

It had been a year or two since I found this place. I had never made much of an effort to keep track of the time, because it really didn't matter to me. I would probably die at 87 thinking I was only 59.

But today was an important day. I would marry Sebastian today. I sat in our tent all day while the women of the Pod set everything up, making sure all the details were absolutely perfect. Lucitania was allowed outside, using her fairy magic to do stuff to the flowers and grass and whatever else it was she did.

Naju was helping me into my dress. It was long and black, the excess fabric pooling around my feet. The top and sleeves were made of lace that had fish and cats woven into it that you would see when you looked closer. It was tight, but not tight enough to crush my lungs, and it was also really twirly which made me happy.

Naju stood on a chair behind me to do my hair. She put some curls into it which she pinned up with the hairpin Sebastian had given me for that dance that seemed so long ago now. She turned me around and did some simple, darkish makeup that made my eyes look brighter and my skin paler.

I had given the malachite cat eye ring to Naju a while ago, when she graduated my dagger class, but I wore the cat half of my necklace. I knew Sebastian would be wearing his half, this fish, and we would both be wearing the rings we hadn't removed since we started dating. I was wearing the engagement ring, a silver band with a swirled black and white pearl wrapped with silver filigree fish and cats around the bottom. It was unique and beautiful, and I treasured it more than almost anything. I looked at the promise ring on my finger, the engraved fish bright even in the dim light, and thought of the day I had given the cat ring to him. I had been so happy. It seemed impossible, but I was even happier now.

Finally, everything was ready. Naju lead me out of the tent and we met Ari, who was waiting to walk me down the aisle. I took his arm and Naju scampered off with all the energy of a twelve year old. It was a long walk, but the soft grass was nice on my barefoot. I never wore shoes unless we went somewhere else. I admired all the crystalline flowers and watched the animals around us in wonder. Everything was so happy.

We made it to where Sebastian was, and Ari let go of me. I walked forward and stood in front of him. The ceremony went by in a blur. I was kissing him, sealing our marriage, before I knew it. We danced for a long time before pretty much passing out in front of our tent. I remember a few things clearly from that day. The way Sebastian looked was one, the joy on Ari's face was another, and the utter pride and love on my mother's face was the last. I carried those memories with me throughout the rest of my life.