16- Married

A long time had passed since we found Lucitania. She did a lot of things, like making understand the animals around us and turning flowers into gemstones and metals like silver and gold. We sold most of those flowers and the Pod flourished. Lucitania was there to talk to me when I was bored and Sebastian was gone.

Sebastian and I had gotten really close. It hurt when he was gone, and I was beyond thrilled just to be around him. I was 99% sure I loved him. He was a great kisser too. He made me feel safe and wanted, which was something I never realized I wanted or needed when I was on my own. And now my brother was coming to visit with Larentia again.

The Pod was bustling with preparations. They set up a tent for the two and gathered food that they would like eating. I had never seen the camp so busy. They must have liked Ari and Larentia when they came. Lucitania went around changing flowers and then weaving them into sculptures of lions and wolves. She was amazing.

And then, around noon, they arrived. They were greeted by a crowd of mermaids and I waited while the two talkrd to all of their admirers. As I thought about Ari and Larentia, and then Sebastian and I, I started to think Maybe this isn't such a hopeless love after all. If Ari and Larentia can be together and be so happy, then maybe it's not impossible for Sebastian and I to do the same. Now that I know there can be children between two races, I have a lot of hope. I just want this to work. I don't want to lose him.

The crowd was gone by the time I finished thinking. I ran over to Ari and gave him a hug. He ruffled his hand through my hair and I gave Larentia a hug as well. Sebastian settled for shaking their hands.

"We have something big to tell you two," Ari announced. He looked excitedly at Larentia before continuing. "Larentia and I are married! We're sorry we didn't invite you to the wedding! We figured we could have a smaller one here for you guys," he said.

My jaw dropped. My little brother was married?! When did that happen? Somehow it had never occured to me that Ari would ever marry anyone.

"Jet, you think we should tell them," Sebastian whispered to me. I gave him a confused look. He sighed and gestured to the two of us. My eyes lit with understanding and I nodded vigorously.

"Umm, Ari. I've got something to tell you too. You see, Sebastian and I are...we're dating," I mumbled. Ari had clearly heard me though and undertood.

"That's so nice. I'm so happy for you Jet. Jist don't let him hurt you. And you, sir, don't you ever lay a hand on my sister with harmful intent. Because I will find you and rip you to shreds. You better protect her with everything you possibly can," Ari threatened. Sebastian just smiled and nodded. I was glad that Ari wasn't going to immediately murder Sebastian.

We got the mini-wedding underway. Lucitania called to the earth and made the grass grow into all sorts of shapes before turning it to diamond. Flecks of light flew everywhere as Ari and Larentia walked down the aisle we'd made. It was so beautiful and I cried enough to make a new river. We had a party and celebrated and I passed out, exhausted, in Sebastian's arms. When I woke up, Ari and Larentia were gone. Sebastian told me they went on their honeymoon. I just nodded and cried a little, thinking about whether I would ever get to marry Sebastian.