8-Suprise Visitor

I woke up the next morning and ran my fingers through my hair. I needed to cut it soon. My hair got caught on something. I looked at my hands for a second and felt confusion as I looked at the malachite cat's eye that peered at me from a gold band. I smiled as the memories of yesterday rush back into my mind. Sebastian helped me get my mother's ring back. And I found out I can't tackle him to the ground. I frowned at that.
     I remembered what the sign on that town had said.
                Halvana, City of Sanctuary
Members of many races welcome, such as:
Mermaids
Werewolves
Minotaurs
Sphinxes
Centaurs
Vampires
Merwolves
Minxes
Vamtaurs
Minomaids
Spholves
Minaurs
Sphipires
Cenmaids
Werepires
And so on and so forth.
     What the heck were all those ones at the bottom? I had never heard of them before and I resolved to ask Sebastian about it.
     I sighed and walked out of the tent. I needed a bath. I looked at my clothes. I sighed again. Sebastian was probably right. I needed new clothes too. So checklist for today: get new clothes, bathe, get haircut. Hang out with Sebastian. Ask him out...no not yet. Too nervous. I'd probably mess it up.
     While I was thinking, someone put their hand on my shoulder and yelled into my ear. I shifted as I jumped in reflexive terror. Someone caught me as I came down. I glared at my catcher when I saw that it was Sebastian.
     Jerk. I thought at him. You don't just scare people who are in deep thought. You're lucky I don't claw your face off. He chuckled at that. I mean it! You better watch yourself. You are gonna get yourself hurt. Also, what were all those extra races on the sign for Halvana. I've never heard of them before. He looked at me like I was crazy.
     What do you mean you've never heard of them. I shrugged. I never had and I don't understand why that was so suprising to him. I had literally lived in a town that had a sphinx dominant population for the first five years of my life and the rest of the time I was alone in the wilderness.
     Ok. Those were various species of Chimera Children, the offspring of two or more races. They show traits of two races and have beastias of both races. However if, for example, a sphinx/werewolf had a child with a mermaid, the kid would only show traits of two races and they would only have the beastias the two races they show the traits of. They are not very common right now. I personally think they are the future of our species as a whole. They are much better than us in my opinion.
     Thank you for explaining. Now. I need new clothes, a bath, and a haircut. Please escort me to the necessary locations.
     He relented and started walking to the sea water pool. He slipped into the water and shifted, leaving me paddling in panic as he suddenly disappeared. I glared as he turned his eye to me. It was glinting with amusement. I was sure he could see the murder in my eyes.
     He swam off and I followed, doing my best to memorize where we went. I was glad I had grabbed my money pouch, although I don't remember when. We bought mostly black tank tops and black shorts, although I did buy one dress I saw that was really pretty. It was black (like my soul(just kidding, it was black like the rest of my clothes)). It was very loose, flowy, and twirlable from the waist down and tight up top. It had silver embroidery around the bottom edges in the shapes of leaping fish. Two things that normally dictated the dresses I bought: was it flowy and was it black. Black was kinda my favorite color if it wasn't obvious. It also seemed to be made just for me as it wasn't too long or too short. It stopped just short of the ground so you could barely see my bare feet. I loved it.
     Sebastian climbed out of the water and picked me back up, not caring that I was getting him wet. Although he was a mermaid so he was probably used to it. He walked back to my tent and put my clothes in it, keeping back a set of clothes in a bag that I had set aside to wear after my bath. He walked to the bathing pool and set me down near the edge. He put my bag of clothes on a branch of the tree with the drying towel and walked off to go do something.
     I enjoyed the warmth of the water on my skin. I scrubbed new dirt out of my hair and off my skin. I made sure to wash my hair good so it would be easier to cut. When I was satisfied with my cleanliness, I stood up and walked out of the pool of water. I grabbed the drying towel and dryed off, making sure Sebastian wasn't around. I trusted him, but not enough to get dressed without making sure he was gone. I put on a new bra and underwear I had got today, then the black shorts and tank top. I had a very small chest and I was grateful for that. My small size made it easier for me to not get stuck in tight spaces and it made running a lot easier. I ran a comb through my hair and went to find Sebastian after I was finished yanking all the hair from my head. There was wind blowing my hair into my face. I angrily pulled it out of my face and finally spotted him. He was talking to an old woman.
     "Hey Sebastian," I called out to him. He glanced at me and finished talking to the woman and jogged over.
     "So now you get your hair cut. I liked it long though," he pouted.
     "One: you don't get an opinion on what I do to my hair. Two: you can't say you like it long when you haven't seen it short. I don't even remember what it is like to have short hair; it has been years since I cut it. It just stopped growing after a certain length. So, if you will please take me to the barber, I will be very grateful," I said to him.
      He nodded and took my hand, walking off in the direction of the murderously bright council tent. I closed my eyes to protect them from the assault. He laughed when, I assume, he saw my closed eyes. He led me on for a while before stopping. We were right next to the council tent when I opened my eyes. I looked away and right at the target destination.
     I saw another elderly mermaid woman. She was sitting on a stool with a sharp knife in her hands. She patted the grass in front of her and I sat down. I let my eyes slide closed and laughed when I heard the woman shoo Sebastian away.
     "And if I catch you peeking, I will turn you into a fish fillet," the woman yelled after him. I liked this old lady.
     "Hello dear," she said to me. "How short would you like it," the woman asked.
     I thought and answered, "How about midback? Not too short, not too long." The old woman nodded and first cut off a large section at about my waist. After she did that she started to talk, continuing to cut my hair.
     "Now, what is your name," she questioned. "How long have you been here? Why is Sebastian so eager to take you everywhere? He normally doesn't show girls places you know. Normally very quiet. But since you came, he has been brighter and more lively. And what do you plan to do with him? You did give him the other half of that necklace after all," she finished off her questions.
     "Well...my name is Jet. Jet Kefira. I've been here a few days, maybe around a week? Not sure. I think he takes me everywhere mostly because I kind of order him to, but also because he is my friend. I didn't know he wasn't very talkative before I came, even though I observed you all for a while. I plan to...to give him this ring I found after I...ask him out. But I'll only give it to him if he says he'll go out with me. I'll try not to be angry if he doesn't wanna go out with me though. But I'm really nervous. I've never dated anyone before. I don't know what to do with a boyfriend, but I'm willing to try for him," I spilled out to the old woman. Almost as an afterthought I added, "What is your name?"
     "It doesn't matter what my name is. I'm just here to cut hair. And I have finished. You may leave," she told me. I grabbed a few cockle shells to hand to the woman, but when I turned around she was gone. I shrugged and set the shells on her stool.
     I walked around the tent, trying to find Sebastian. I found him at the edge of the sea water pool. He was looking at the field past the water. I sat next to him and looked at my reflection in the water. My hair was still pretty long, just a bit past my shoulders. It was wavier now that the weight of my hair wasn't dragging it down. I ran my hands through it and felt shock as my hair ended aburptly. I wasn't used to it.
      I turned to Sebastian, about to say something, when a small black something appeared on the horizon over his shoulder. I stood up.
     "What is it," Sebastian asked me. Fear made his voice a bit wavery. That worried me. What could be out here that would make him scared? I didn't answer. I kept staring at the little black shape on the blue sky of the horizon. It was getting bigger really fast. I recognized a small shape that was vaguely reminiscent of a humanaria drawn with closed eyes. I noticed a thin black shape show up as the person got closer. It lashed back and forth in the wind. A tail. Was it...no it couldn't be...could it? There was no way this person on the horizon was actually a sphinx. But...no other race had a tail. I noticed how small the shape was. Only sphinxes were that small, unless it was a particularly stunted person.
     I continued to watch the figure as more people crowded around to see. I walked forward to the very edge of the opening between the fresh water river and the end of the salt water pool. My heart almost stopped when the figure got close enough to make out what he looked like. It was my little brother.

-_________________________________________-

Hey guys. Hope you liked it. She cut her hair and is about to be reunited with her baby bro! Wooo! How do you think it will go? Love you my land sharks and see you Friday and next Wednesday! 0)