Chapter 4-Encounter

Chapter 4 - Encounter

After leaving the chemistry classroom, I began to drift out of consciousness. My head became foggy. The world blurred as my eyes drifted to a close as if every eyelash weighed more than they should. As if gravity had been turned up tenfold.

I was unaware of what was going on around me. The whole world simply felt like a low-resolution movie. As I struggled to keep my balance, the classrooms swayed like they were part of a funhouse mirror illusion. When a sudden collision brought me back to the outside world. We both had been knocked to the ground. After a second of collecting my thoughts, I could feel somebody looking at me, staring me dead in the eye. This was Emma.

Emma was incredibly smart. She was in the advanced section in all her classes, so we didn't get to interact often. She usually walked around by herself but never seemed sad about it. She had beautiful, large brown eyes behind purple-rimmed glasses. She'd wear her shiny brown hair up to her shoulder that she'd cutely tuck behind her ears. Her uniform was so neatly ironed and pressed that it always looked brand new.

"Emma, I'm so sorry" I apologised as I helped her pick up her books.

"It's fine," she replied in a soft soothing voice as she rubbed the point of contact.

As I lifted her book, we noticed a bag had busted open revealing a bunch of white and blue stripped wrapped candy spilt all over the ground. I had never seen this kind of candy anywhere before.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no." she stammered as she hurried to pick them up.

"What are these?" I asked as I helped her pick them up.

"They are high intensive sugar pills," She replied as she stood up dusting herself off.

"Oh, why do you have that?" I asked.

"To balance out my sugar levels if I ever take too much insulin," she smiled.

"Oh," I said after the sudden realisation of her condition, diabetes. I attempted to change the topic, "Sorry about your uniform."

"It's okay," she replied, "It's the end of the day so it really doesn't matter, more importantly, why'd you look so drunk a couple of seconds ago?"

"How do you know I wasn't drunk?" I joked as she giggled.

"Here," she said as she handed me one of the candies.

"What this for?" I joked, "You trying to make me take the dirty one?"

"No," she giggled, "From what I saw you were either drunk or had a low blood sugar or sleep deprived. Assuming you aren't drunk, you'll need some sugar."

"It's fine," I replied trying my best to stand upright, "Those look quite expensive and I'm pretty sure you need them more than I do. Besides, you don't even know me that well."

"Of course I do," she said with a smile, "You're the new guy who's always smiling. Even when people are being mean to you."

"What?" I said confused and flattered, "I don't do that."

"I tend to observe things," She explained, "You're quite good at keeping a level head and staying calm even when people make fun or shout at you. And that tends to make you smile a lot. I admire that."

"Besides, I'm sure I'll survive without one," she smiled as she grabbed my hand and placed the candy inside.

"Thank you," I replied, stammering nervously as I unwrapped the candy and gently placed it in my mouth.

I felt a jolt of electricity rush through me, energising my body.

"Wow," I said.

"Yeah," she giggled, "packs quite a punch, I have to get them specially made from the hospital."

Our conversation was interrupted by a loud incoming yell.

"Yo!" Anthony exclaimed interrupting us, "Thanks for waiting, Alex."

"Guess I should get going," She said as she walked away, "I'll see you around?"

"Yeah, absolutely," I replied.

As Anthony and I stood there in silence for a while, a huge grin appeared on his face. He turned to me and said,

"So, you and Emma?" Anthony questioned.

"She seems really nice," I replied.

"Yeah, 'nice'." He said sarcastically.

"We're just friends if that even," I replied.

"More importantly, are you ready for your race?" Anthony asked.

"Oh crap, I forgot," I said nervously.