Chapter 9- Pass/Fail

"You're kidding me, right?" James said stunned, "how is that even possible"

I looked down at my bright red hand. 

It hurts. But it felt so amazing. I spiked it!

"How did you do that?!" Anthony asked shocked.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused, "Was it not your plan to set to me?"

"Of course not!" He exclaimed, "You've missed every spike in the game so far. I was trying to set to Tommy behind you."

Shocked, I turned my head to see Tommy waving uncomfortably at me as he had just watched me steal his spike.

"I misjudged the distance between Tommy and I because I was off-balance and accidentally put way too much force into it," He continued, "so how the hell did you just pull off a zero-tempo shot with a ball going at that kind of speed!"

"Zero-tempo?" I asked.

"It's exactly what it sounds like," He explained, "No-time, it's a technique in which no time passes between the Setter's set and the spiker's spike. The spiker jumps before the set and the setter's tries to aim the set exactly where the spiker is going to hit. It's one of the most difficult shots to pull off, as well as you did, in all of Volleyball."

Zero-Tempo. Is that what that state is? I like the sound of that.

Anthony stood there waiting for an explanation much like the others around him. I didn't have one. I couldn't tell them my perception of time slowed down, with everything having a slight light blue tint, as though I had a blue filter over my eyes, and yellow lightning streaks striking the surroundings. I'd sound like a crazy person, but there was no denying or disproving it this time. That is what happened!

I pulled Anthony aside, far away from earshot of the other players and tried my best to explain everything that had happened, from the ball slowing down to the yellow lightning. I stood there waiting for his response. Was it going to be Confusion? Fear?

"Do you think you can do it again?" he replied.

"I'm not sure," I answered, "but I can try"

"Just run and jump to where there are no blockers," Anthony replied with a smile, "Leave the rest to me."

A piercing whistle speared through the silent air as I got into position.

The ball was served to our opponent's side, it was an easy receive for them. The ball made its way nicely to their setter who set it with a high arch. As I jumped in the hopes of blocking, the ball suddenly became eclipsed by the silhouette of James Todd in the spiking position. The ball zoomed past me as it hit the floor with so much force that it nearly touched the roof after rebounding off the floor. I was blown back landing on my butt.

"Don't get cocky," James reminded me as he looked down on me.

25-25.

Anthony quickly picked me up, noticing my smile of anticipation, he said

"Even when you get hit on your ass, you still have that smile."

"That because I can't wait to get back at him ten times harder," I replied.

"Listen. You suck at serving, you suck at setting and your digging and blocking are below average. Then what are you doing on the court?" Anthony said.

A wave of silence washed over us.

"You score points!" Anthony shouted suddenly, "Focus Alex! And score!"

He was right. Once more. Zero Tempo.

The ball was served. The upperclassmen on our team had an easy time receiving it. The ball was perfectly on its way to Anthony. It was my turn.

I quickly sprinted as fast as I could towards the net, before the ball got to Anthony, to where there were no blockers. I took a solid first step with my left leg then stepped with my right foot to build up speed. I jumped explosively upwards while lifting both my legs to almost touching my back and pulled back my right elbow, with my left hand stretched out near the ball to assist with the aim.

Yellow lightning erupted behind me and the surrounding covered with the familiar blue taint.

I can see. Everything!

From Anthony's expression of pure concentration, I could tell it was coming. The ball spun violently towards me. Honestly, his accuracy was creepy. I rotated my arm and whipped my forearm forward.

26-25.

"Incredible!" Our teammates cheered, "Another point! We're winning!"

The match continued with Anthony and I successfully pulling off zero tempo. Unfortunately, James Todd also continued pulling off just as many blocks to our other spiker. But there was hope, he hadn't been able to keep up with our zero tempo.

29-30.

Match point for the other team. I could barely stand, I felt my whole body being tugged downwards immensely by the gravity. Anthony and I stood in the centre of the court with sweat dripping down our faces. Everyone was tired but no one near their limit as much as Anthony and me. The atmosphere was intense, almost life-threatening. This pressure was extreme. Every sweat drop echoed through the hall leaving puddles below our feet. With every inhale, it felt as though my lungs were going to give up on me.

It hurts. But we have to, we need to win! We can do this! Don't Give up, legs! Zero-Tempo!

I jumped into the air as the yellow lightning once again struck around me, although a lot fainter than earlier. The ball was a bit slower than usual—the fatigue must have been getting to Anthony—but it was still on target.

I pulled back my right elbow, with my left hand stretched out near the ball to assist with the aim. I then sharply rotated my right elbow while snapping downwards my wrist to spike. I hit the ball as hard as I could. But...

A tall wall suddenly emerged before me. James' arms eclipsed the court. I couldn't see an opening. The ball hit the palm of his hands, slamming it down on our side with tremendous force. He had completely blocked me.

"Blocking isn't a technique to stop the ball," James said, "it's a technique to smack down the ball"

29-31.

We lost.

I couldn't help but feel horrible. It was my spike that had been blocked. I had let my team down. Plus, it meant I also failed the trail. I was screwed.

"James's Blocks are blocks used to score points," Mr Ramsay said as he walked over to me, "he uses his opponent's spikes against them and makes them his own points."

"He really is a monster," I replied with a smile at the realisation I probably never stood a chance, "I was too weak, again."

"But..." Mr Ramsay continued, "you did well, to even get as many points as you did against him. You've got a lot of potential."

"Being weak isn't something to be ashamed of," He continued, "Staying weak is."

"Does that mean?!" I exclaimed as joy returned to my eyes.

"You pass," Mr Ramsay said with a smile, "Welcome to the Volleyball 1st team."