Making Friends and Other Things

Pandora and Jemma are walking along the lunch line together.

"After lunch I was thinking we'd check out the gym and the rest of the sports center."

"Sure, sure." Pandora says as looks around the lunch room, which Jemma notices.

"What's up?" asks Jemma.

"Nothing, just seeing if I can figure it out."

"Figure out what?" Jemma wonders.

"Where all the cliques are sitting at lunch."

"Why?"

"Just trying to get acquainted. That's what I'm supposed to be doing with you right?" says Pandora somewhat teasingly.

"Yeah."

"So acquaint me."

Pandora and Jemma reach the end of the line and pay for their lunches before turning to the room looking for seats.

"Have you ever seen a coming of age movie or TV show?"

"Of course, I've got a Netflix subscription."

"Then you've probably got it all figured out already." says Jemma as she points out various tables. Pandora starts a search on her phone. "You have the cool kids. They tend to hang with the jocks. Then you've got the geeks, nerds, stoners, the techies, and the anti-social crowd who hang out together."

"So they're all here?" Pandora asks just as she stops looking through her phone.

"Sure."

"Is the local club really called The Box? Is it cool?"

"Why?"

Pandora climbs up on the nearest table, stamping her feet to get people's attention, "Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention?"

Uncomfortable by Pandora's sudden attention, she asks quietly, "What are you doing?"

The students go quiet as Pandora ignores Jemma.

"Some of you probably already know who I am. I'm the principal's daughter. Otherwise known as the new girl in town. How is everybody?"

A few of the lunch room students whisper to each other but no one really speaks up.

"Well, contrary to what you might be assuming about me. I'm not an uptight daddy's girl who will turn you in if I see you doing something bad. And to prove that, I'm throwing a party."

More whispering.

"I hear that the most popular club around here is called The Box, which is perfect for me."

Pandora raises her arms.

"My name is Pandora, and I'm opening The Box for the best party this school has ever seen, and you're all invited."

The lunch room students cheer.

"Invites will be going out soon."

Pandora basks in the cheers before she steps down off the table.

"Mission accomplished." Pandora says, turning to Jemma as she speaks.

"Did you really have to make such a cheesy joke?"

Pandora smiles, "Does anyone ever have to make a cheesy joke?"

Pandora picks up her tray and walks towards an empty table.

"What are you doing?" asks Jemma as she follows.

"Making friends?"

"Right but, publicly like that? People are going to notice."