Chapter 7

The next morning was like any other morning for the tiny family and no signs that the couple had even argued the night before. The young mother made breakfast as usual, then her husband took his leave with a kiss and a wink.

After Betelgeuse had gone, Lydia had cleaned up their messy little girl then went about her daily morning routines. About an hour before noon, she found herself carrying a basket of clean clothes into the living room and dropping her butt on the couch. Setting the basket next to her, she turned to the side table to grab the remote to change it to another kid's show that didn't want to make her throw up the last of her breakfast. Her wandering gaze slid over the table and halted on the phone

Last night came to the forefront of her mind, and she sighed profoundly eyeing the phone some more. The young mother wondered if it wouldn't just be better to call her family and get the shit over with. She bit her lip and weighed her options: either they would be upset or wouldn't be? Plus, even if they did wind up being mad at her, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Sure she would be hurt, but having her husband there would help cushion the fall. Her dark eyes closed for a second then sucked in a few calming breaths as she thought about her poltergeist and his words. Betelgeuse had been right when he said that all that mattered was that they make each other happy and all the rest was insignificant. If her family couldn't respect the way her life was heading, then they didn't deserve to be in it.

Okay, well hell, she was going to do it. She was going to call and tell them. Dear someone, please help her. Reaching over, she picked up the phone and with shaky fingers, dialed her parent's number. Her heart slammed against her chest as her hand became clammy while she waited for someone to pick up. The phone rang in her ear once, twice, and by the third ring, the familiar voice of her stepmother came on the line. "Hello Deetz residence, Delia speaking."

Suddenly her throat tightened, and Lydia found herself at a loss for words. Oh god, what was she supposed to say? How the hell do you start a conversation about marrying your family's greatest foe? Taking in a deep breath, she tried to shove the anxiety to the wayside and forced herself to greet her stepmother. "H...h...hi Delia. Um...could you get Dad and the Maitlands? I have something I need to tell you guys." Even though the nervous woman wouldn't be able to hear the ghostly couple over the device, she wanted them there, nonetheless. It just felt wrong to tell her parents and not the Maitlands. The ghostly couple deserved hearing it straight from her and not from Delia and her father.

On the other side of the phone, she could hear the panic that had taken over Delia's tone when she spoke next. "Lydia dear, what is it that you need to tell us? Did something bad happen? Are you and Lucinda, okay?"

The nerves she had been experiencing were hastily replaced with irritation as Delia ignored her request. For fuck's sake, she just wanted to get this over with. The urge to snap at the woman was overwhelming, but Lydia bit her tongue and tried to prompt the conversation along. "We're fine, I promise. I just have something that I'd like to tell you guys. It is quite important though, so could you go and get them, please?"

Her stepmother seemed to hesitate for a second as if she were going to push for more just like Delia always like to do, but instead, she quietly agreed. "If you're sure that you're okay, then I'll go get them. Just let me transfer you to your father's office."

Lydia appreciated the worry, but she and Lulu were good. Hell, they were more than good. "Okay, thanks."

The clicking sound of the changing of lines came then went. Suddenly her father came on the line and called out to her. "Hello? Lydia? You there, pumpkin?"

Hearing her father's voice seemed to calm some of her nerves, and she relaxed slightly. "Hey, dad. How you been?"

"I'm good. I just been busy with work and helping Adam with his model. Oh, your mother has me on a new diet to help lower my blood pressure and...." She heard Delia cut him off by lightly snapping at him to put the phone on speaker so that they all could hear her. Lydia listened to the pressing of buttons, then her father's voice was back asking her a question. "Can you hear us, pumpkin?"