Chapter 14

Disclaimer: I don't own the Beetlejuice franchise. I simply like the borrow the characters from time to time.

Lydia slightly shifted the cake box on her lap as she wistfully watched the golden scenery fly by. Her little family unit was making their way to the parental abode for the monthly holiday visit. She would have preferred to stay home for their first Thanksgiving but knew that if they didn't go, the pregnant woman would be naturally hearing from her extremely vocal stepmother. That was not something Lydia wanted to deal with, especially with the way she has been feeling as of late. The distinct possibility of her blowing her top at her nosey and bossy stepparent was higher than ever. She didn't want to screw up the delicate relationship that started cautiously building between them. Hell, it was a slow go, but it was going better than it had in the past. No one could say she wasn't trying to understand one Delia Deetz.

Her attention moved from the passing landscape and her thoughts to her husband who spoke loudly over their babbling daughter in the backseat.

"Babes, ya sure we don't need any more food? What about a third pumpkin pie or another platter of that green bean crap?" Lightly teased the clever poltergeist as his bloodless lips twitched and his bold gaze flicked in her direction before turning back to the familiar road.

The young mother huffed loudly and rotated her expressive eyes at his cheeky humor. "Betelgeuse stop making fun. Believe me when I tell you that we will need the dishes I've made. My stepmother tends to get overzealous about holidays, and some of those things can be...unique."

Betelgeuse snorted as he continued guiding them toward their intended destination. "You mean fancy. Red looks like the type to try and be all hoity-toity, but we all know she's a fire breathing dragon."

The memorable image of Delia with fire shooting out of her nostrils came to the forefront of her mind causing her to snicker lightly. Well, he wasn't that far off. Lydia genuinely tried to ward off more snickers with locking her lips tightly together but failed spectacularly when they broke through her façade. "Be nice, B."

The poltergeist scoffed and ran an agitated hand through his platinum hair. "I am and have been nice to your folks and the Cleavers."

Lydia toss back her head and laughed gleefully then raised her inquisitive brows at him. "Really? The Cleavers?"

He shrugged his burly shoulders and cackled himself. "What?! If they were able to breed, that's what they would be; so wholesome and shit."

What was the deal with the old nuclear family show references? This was starting to sound like a lifelong grudge. What did those tv shows ever do to him? Or does Betelguese just secretly like them but is too manly to admit it? That did sound like her old man and something that he would typically do. After all he did have a rep to protect. She snickered quietly and poked lightly at his side. "I'm starting to think that you secretly like those shows. You know quite a bit about them. Care to share?"

Another snort sprang out of him, and he shot her a raised brow of his own. "Do I look like someone who watches that shit?"

Lydia instantly flashed her beloved husband a toothy grin and positively affirmed her thoughts with nod. "In secret, yes."

His pale fingers tighten on the steering wheel and he sneered while spitting out his gruff words. "I wouldn't be caught dead watchin' those shows!"

She could not help to point out the obvious nor could she promptly stop the mild sarcasm that rolled off her clever tongue. "Umm...Hun...You are dead..."

His blazing eyes turned to her and barked in outrage. "Oi, you know what I mean woman!"

Her plump lips upturned mischievously as she slowly shook her glossy mane and twirled a finger at him. "Sure, you enjoy watching nuclear family shows. I wonder what other things you have buried underneath all that bravo of yours?"